Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people have used the multi tip Windcutter lines as Skagit lines in the past,but I was wondering if anyone has made a Skagit line out of a Airflow short head Delta before,and if so,what size line they used and what kind of Skagit line did they end up with?

I am contemplating chopping up a multi tip 10/11 Delta line(or a straight floater and using my other current tip sections if they would better suit the line weight wise) and adding an extra loop system so that I could add on a compensator to fish deeper as a whole line,and also possibly use this line as a lighter weight Skagit line.I'm just not sure if the Skagit line I get out of it would be quite heavy enough for any of my current rods(the 2 lightest being a 8124 and 9132 LOOP Yellow,which RIO recommends a 450 and 500 grain line for without cheaters)

Windcutter multi tips with tip 2 removed have seemingly worked well so is there any reason why a similar size Delta cut back a similar length would work any differently?I like the fact that the new Airflow lines come with thinner,no strech cores now and the lines are slick,with great welded loops on the tips.They should make a nice Skagit line if done correctly I would think,and if matched to the right rod of course.

If I were to cut back say a new 2007 model 10/11 Delta with tips,which weighs 770 grains,does anyone know how far back I would want to cut it to get the maximum possible weight and still stay within the best length Skagit line size for my rods(12ft4-13ft2)?Would one cut it similar to the nearest size Windcutter body,or a tad longer to try and squeek out a few more extra grains?

It seems like this line is closest to the 750 grain 10/11/12,but a tad heavier at 770 grain.Does anyone know what the body section weight would end up being if cut back the same length,or a bit longer(not sure how long I could go though?) as the Windcutter.

What size Skagit line body would be the outcome of this line and would it still be too light for my current rods?

What about the sizes of tip section that would best match it?If starting with the multi tip version would the lighter Airflow tips still work well enough as part of the Skagit line,or would they be a bit light,forcing me to use some heavier RIO ones anyways?

Any advice would be most appreciated as I enjoy cutting and looping flylines,but am not sure if it would be the right choice this time.
Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
Why not buy an Airflo or Rio Skagit head? I cut several lines before I started with the manufactured heads and it was mostly a waste of money.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am not sure it will be heavy enough. It may help to give you an idea of how I've gone about making home-grown skagits here is what I did. I made a bunch of skagits out of long-bellied Orvis floaters and they work great, especially considering that Orvis was blowing the lines out for $30 a pop. The key is to have a line scale. Measure out how many grains you want at the desired line length. For example, I made my floating sections 30' long out the rod tip. Be careful you know where the "hinge" point is for sure, this is where you can screw it up, if you don't know where it is you won't get the right length head!! So, for example, with the 10-wt long belly chopped down to 30' I got a 450-gr. which is nice on my 7136-4, the 11 wt I got a 500 gr. which works pretty good with my 7-wt as well, and the 12-wt I got a 550 grain, which is good with a heavy head or a cheater and a lighter head on my 7141-4 and 9140-4. The 5-ft home-made "cheater" are made with leftover line as needed.

Now in your case if you measure ~30 feet of "head" out and come to a certain grain weight that's what your skagit line is going to be if you cut it, sans cheater. I suspect the 8-wt rods you have are going to want 550-600 grains (maybe check the Rio webpage for skagit recommendations for your rods). If you weigh out 30' of that delta head and it's in the range you want +/- 50 grains you're OK. I don't know that line, but if I had to guess, since it' s a short head, it may well be heavy enough. If not, you might have to either make the head a little longer or shorter to compensate, and at some point it might not be worth it. I will say you can always start a little long like 35 feet, put a temporary loop on, and cut it back until it casts "sweet" but then again it might not work for you. There is always some inherent danger you won't end up with the line you want but usually you can do your homework ahead of time and even if you botch it up you should end up with a serviceable line for a lighter or heavier rod and in either case you'll gain some knowledge by "going for it".

Be sure to weigh as accurately as you can before you cut. You can do this by coiling the line, tareing the scale with a pipe cleaner or two to hold the coils in place, and holding the shooting and front end of the lines off the scale to get a pretty accurate reading. Also keep in mind skagit lines are pretty "thick" and heavy for a given line size, so you need a heavier type 10-wt to make a skagit appropriate for a 8-wt, otherwise you may need a 12 wt if you start with a long-belly line, as was in my case.

Hope this helps rather than confuses...good luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I forgot to add in all of this you have to keep track of your grain weight for your sink tips as well. Be sure to consider the fact that your tips will weigh about 100-200 grains as part of the whole equation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I was considering using a heavier model Delta multi tip line was that I was hoping to be able to have 2 lines in 1.Using the full line with tips on one of my heavier rods(10wt) and just the body & tips for a Skagit line for a lighter rod(8wt).

It sounds like it would be a tad light for what I want though,and would be better suited for a 7wt rod than a 8wt,plus the tips with the Airflow line probably won't be heavy enough(they are lighter than the RIO tips).The RIO recommendations for my 8wt is a 450 Skagit head without a cheater,so I think even the heaviest Delta at 770 grains would probably be on the light side.

Obviously for just a straight Skagit line then one of the new Skagit heads would be much easier to set up and probably work better,but it wouldn't be able to double as a full size short head line for a heavier rod.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Tony,

Before you abandon the project or go any further you should do a search for River Addict's posts on how to make a skagit line from a WC. Then you should get some type of line scale. Armed with that info and a scale I believe you will be able to do your project as you see it in your minds eye.

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
Well spoken POPPY!!:) Hey tonyd,, I took an orvis 12/13 wt shortbelly spey that I picked up off of speybay last yr.. whacked it down to 585 grns and 32 ft( is a lil lighter and shorter now) made me cheaters out of sections of the front that I hacked.. 25 bucks and I is a skagiteer:D .. If ya havent thrown lines that short with that much mass before, you will have to adjust your casting stroke.. I had to be shown what to do. Now I can launch paris hilton's chihuahua half way across the river in a stiff headwind:eek: There is a recent thread on here about adjusting cheater and tip lenght in order to maintain the same overall line lenght .. That way you can use the same casting stroke for efficiency... No wonder I can screw up giveme casts :Eyecrazy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts