Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
I just picked up a 5/6 switch rod. I was wondering if it's possible to make a cheapo running line outta an old fly line, and just add a tip. I'm planning on using this rod for pinx in a few weeks, then trout when the river gets higher, and I need the height and spey style cast for getting into the sweet spots.

thanx
rick

·
Sorry horible English
83 Posts
Hallo,
Whats about a monocore Runnig line?
Just use stif a =.35-0.45mm Mono.
For fess memory put it short in hot Water.
Amnesia is not bad and sheap but I dont know if its sold in the US.
The level line of an old WF is also useable.
Greetings
Benjamin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
el cheapo running line

So I can get away by just cutting out the WF portion of my old 6wt line and use the running line, and then just attach appropriate tips?

thanx
rick

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I've made several effective extended-belly lines by starting with a regular or long-belly weight-forward line; splicing in level sections of smaller-diameter belly and ending with either a loop or a longish floating tip from a still-smaller WF or DT line. And of course you can use left-over running line from other splicing projects.

·
Downer
14 Posts
I recommend 35lb Cortland Slick Shooter. It will run you about $12. Once you stretch it out, you should have no memory problems. I have tried all the other methods listed above and have had personal success with this brand.:) Are you fishing with a floating, shooting head?:confused:

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Get_Speyed said:
I recommend 35lb Cortland Slick Shooter. :
I thought Slick Shooter was made by Rio. Not trying to be picky just trying to clear up any confusion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
using tips

hey guys,
tryin to make an elcheapo line to run sink tips for my 5/6 wt.
I use a 6wt cortland wf line ( w/o the wf portion) and attached various tips to it. Not really impressed, not sure if I used too much weight ( in term of tips) or not enough. I tried a 9' section of t14, and various other sections from my rio windcutter versatip for an 8 wt rod.

Current method should suffice for my bella coola trip, but will need to improve for future use.

Hints?

thanx
rick

·
Downer
14 Posts
Thanks KerryS. It is Rio and not Cortland. My Bad:tsk_tsk:

Any way, I was shown by a close friend how make inexpensive lines (shooting heads) to throw sink tips and they work very well. For your rod, I would start off with 20 ft. of 9 or 10 wt. level fly line attached to your running line. I put the braided loops from Cortland on both ends of the fly line so that I can quickly change sink tips or the entire line. This is an effective shooting head. Try doing some roll casts, spey style casts and single haul casts. These lines are clunky and are not meant to be arialized. However, they cast T8 and weighted flys well and quickly. Great lines for swinging flys. I use various lengths of T8 with and without cheaters. Mess with the length until you have your line dialed to your rod. Always cast with your sink tip and fly on and in the water. River Run Anglers in Carnation WA sells 50 ft. of bulk fly line for $25 even though their website says $50 for 100 ft. Give them a call.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx

thanx getspeyed
20ft of 9/10wt, as running line, or as a shooting head, with fly line behind it?
thanx
rick

·
Downer
14 Posts
Start with 20 ft. of fly line. After fly line, attach running line. After running line, attached desired length of dacron backing. Use prefabricated loops on both ends of fly line and on end of sinktip. I use a perfection loop on my running line. This allows everything to be interchangeable and eliminates the need for extra spools ect.

·
Downer
14 Posts
KerryS

Just out of curiosity, who are the fools?

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Get_Speyed said:
KerryS

Just out of curiosity, who are the fools?
All of us have learned a lesson or two from experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts