1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It's the same technique that I use, but you've got a couple a variations. I'm going to try the mono to strip the coating. That would sure beat acetone.

I always thread the frayed end of the core through the eye of the needle (requires trimming the fryed ends to a taper) and then pull it through. The dental tape looks simpler. Is Dental Tape simply that new-fangled dental floss that's out on the market these days?

What is tear meander adhesive primarily used for? Where do you find it? It sounds like an excellent material to use.

I like to wrap the length of the core that will form the finished loop with a layer of tying thread prior to pulling it through. I also wrap the thread up the line to about 1/8" past the exist hole. A thin coating of aquaseal then completes everything. The thread is uncessary but it make for a very nice-looking finished loop.

I've heard there is also anew product that I could use instead of aquaseal. I can't recall the name, but I know it was mentioned here. It's been out a couple of years now so maybe it's a good time to ask about its long-term performance now?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I usually start by tying an overhand knot in a piece of 25# mono and tightening it around the line. Once tight just pull it off with a pair of pliers and the CORE comes with.

why on earth would you want the core to go with it? i do hope that's a typo, or i have certainly missed something here. :roll: :razz:

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Typos are Cool

Cover, not core.

Tear mender has been around for years. It is made in Chicago and glues anything. I like the ways it cleans up and does not dry up. And of course it stays nice and supple when dry.

Dental tape is wide, flat dental floss. It is VERY strong for its tiny size.

I did not mention that you can insert the needle part way up the line into the core through the cover and thereby create a loop with the actual cover on the loop. This is good for running lines. I can even do it on the Guideline .028 with enough patience. In fact many of the running lines are easier to pull inside of than the bigger heads.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Question

I have tried a method quite like this on thick lines such as #8wt. plus with some success. I need more practice. The area that I have a real problem with is when I try the method with a 5 or 6wt. line. The problem that I have is in order to get the dental tape through the eye of the needle ,the eye of the needle is so large that it makes a hole in the main part of the line that is about half the thickness of the line . Then as soon as you pull on the line it breaks where the needle hole is. Could you suggest a way around this problem. I finally went back to using loops although if I could get the method to work,I would prefer your way of simply making a loop.

harley

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tape On

This is one reason to use tape instead of floss. The needle I use is pretty small since the tape is flat. The hole in the needle is long and thing just like the tape. I make a neat cut in the tape and then wet is and smooth. It goes right in to the smallest needle that way.

I do this on .028 running lines and the small ends of lines. Both are pretty small characters. When I used to use wire and floss instead of tape I could not do it. Also when I used a bigger needle things went poorly. Small needles and tape rock my world.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Loops

Thanks for the reply Jack-Knowledge is as golden as experience!

harley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts