Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished from Stafford down to Rio Dell this weekend. One dink and not another tug. Not a lot of activity on the water - only saw one other boat. Scotia gauge was at 2000 and Miranda gauge at 424. I'd say visibility was ~2-3'. Talked to a couple other fly guys who fished south fork day before and nothing for them either. Need a good strong storm to come through and blow things out. I checked out the Mad this morning before driving home and it had about 1' vis so I didn't even put on waders...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd really like to see that river, fish or no.
It is an amazingly beautiful place and usually the pesky Pikeminnows at least keep you on your toes and are willing to eat.

Reactions: SLSS

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice Cameron! I am jealous. Looking like some rain coming this week. I'll be watching the gauges and looking for another opportunity!

·
Registered
288 Posts
We’re getting pounded this morning in Sac, and it looks like the coast rivers are starting to come up as well. What do those of you that know the Eel better than I do look for, flow wise, on the Main Stem and South Fork?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Unfortunately, just the flow numbers aren’t usually sufficient info imo. The sediment levels are quite substantial, and variable, so it’s more like trying to factor in how fast the rivers rose, how high they peaked, how long they peaked, and how quickly they’ve dropped. If that sounds overly complicated, that’s been my experience with trying to guess visibility levels on the main Eel and the south fork. Early in the season it often takes longer to clear up from big flows, and sometimes a lot of moderate flows can help clear some sediment, but there is also variable landslide issues to factor in. It seems to me that the last few years have had a lot more sediment issues from landslides, but that may just be my unfortunate timing. I love fishing there, but it’s a tricky one to hit with good conditions; often another front comes in well before the river clears, and it can easily take two weeks (or more) to clear after a big front hits. I usually just go, but have back up plans in mind, which quite often end up being needed.
Ymmv,
JB

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's kind of impossible to guess accurately unless you live near or have a friend that lives near and can check on river conditions. Last year (and maybe this year?), there was a slide on the SF above Standish-Hickey. I was getting confused because the further upstream I drove, the muddier the water got... In combination with Jason's info, I've read like <1K on south fork and <3k on main stem is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts