Spey Pages banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don’t know my catfish well, but is that a flathead? Could be a fly caught world record!
It very well could be - depends on what strength tippet you were using. I know there are some guys who sight fish to flatheads with streamers (Blane Chocklett, for example). Did you get that one on the swing? It's something I'd love to do!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Watch Fish
Organism Fish Marine biology Ray-finned fish Fin
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural environment Mammal
Water Fin Fish Tail Ray-finned fish

Water Sky Cloud Fog Plant

Upper Grand in my backyard. Growing up, spent countless hours chasing bass, pike, carp, walleye and browns, lots of options. These days during the summer, seem to spend more time in casting sessions with the 2-hand rods than actually fishing, or taking the little guy out. About an hour from the Steelhead action down south on the middle/lower.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It very well could be - depends on what strength tippet you were using. I know there are some guys who sight fish to flatheads with streamers (Blane Chocklett, for example). Did you get that one on the swing? It's something I'd love to do!
We have a couple of warm tailwaters with runs that allow us to air out a spray pole.....and hopefully be tuned up for when we travel for salmonids. Clouser minnows are pretty much the standard fly. We get springtime "runs" of white bass (Hillbilly Coho) and wipers, but you're liable to catch just about anything - walleye, catfish, carp, gar. It ain't fancy, but it's close to home...

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,377 Posts
For 50 years I lived in some pretty cool places but almost all the images from them were recorded on Kodachrome 64 and exist on old carousel slide trays I enjoy once in a great while.

When I was fifty I moved once more and have been here 17 years now and only scratching the surface.

When conditions are right I can see this right out on the back deck.

Every year I have to go farther to be alone due to pressure and I find that I fish less because my trips really are trips.

Once the ice begins to form there is zero competition so I fish more late in the year and without going so far from home.

I'm never really alone though and this particular guy has been visiting my fall runs for 5 years in a row.

Still getting a few fish and still enjoying the place. Love where I live? I just love living in general I think :)

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
@thegreydrake Thank you for reminding us to not take our home waters for granted.

Water Sky Cloud Natural landscape Lake

Water Sky Casting (fishing) People in nature Surf fishing

Water Fog Atmospheric phenomenon Angling Fisherman

Above are my summer pools about 15 mins away (25 minutes - according to my wife).

Below are my winter pools 15-20 minutes away.
Natural landscape Plant Branch People in nature Trunk

Water Plant Plant community Sky Cloud

Water Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape

Ash Wood Asphalt Sky Tobacco

There are many other steelhead rivers within 2 hours drive from where I live...I'm always pining for those rivers. My wife has asked in the past "What's wrong with the river down the road?"

Attachments

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
2,085 Posts
@thegreydrake Thank you for reminding us to not take our home waters for granted.

View attachment 390055

View attachment 390061

View attachment 390060
Above are my summer pools about 15 mins away (25 minutes - according to my wife).

Below are my winter pools 15-20 minutes away.
View attachment 390059 .

View attachment 390058

View attachment 390057

View attachment 390062

There are many other steelhead rivers within 2 hours drive from where I live...I'm always pining for those rivers. My wife has asked in the past "What's wrong with the river down the road?"

That green water is one of my favorite colors.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Living on the northern Colorado Front Range, my home water is the Cache la Poudre River, which drops from an elevation of 8450' (2575 m) to 4860' (1481 m) within an hour and a half of my house. The closest portions are the low-elevation ones, and I can be on those in about 15 minutes. The fish are a mix of wild browns, wild and stocked rainbows and cuttbows, and, up high, the odd brook trout and cutthroat trout. It's not a big river, with mean peak flows around 2,000 cfs during runoff and mean low flows of 40 cfs of so during the winter, but it's close, has lots of public access, and it has enough trout willing to tackle a streamer or snarf a mouse to keep me smiling.
Organism Fish Wood Plant Grass

Sky Plant community Water Plant Mountain

·
Registered
93 Posts
Really loving the new home water, we're surrounded by awesome trout water, but I'm having a hard time passing up the river through town...where I'm from originally I'd have had to drive 2 hours for something like this and now it's just a long walk or a short bike ride down the road!

Cloud Water Sky Plant Natural landscape

Water Sky Tree Watercourse Lake

Sky Cloud Water Natural landscape Road surface

Sky Cloud Water Plant Tree

Water Vertebrate Organism Fisherman Fish

·
Internet Scientist
1,387 Posts
They release some dam caught steelhead in that river.

Reactions: JVAngler
21 - 40 of 52 Posts