Spey Pages banner

Lost Wife Trying to Purchase a Spey...

5K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Maxg 
#1 ·
I seriously am lost...I have no idea what brand or where to buy. I must purchase on-line, a 15' 9/10weight spey...Any ideas, facts, quidelines?? Any help is greatly appreciated!! :confused:

#3 ·
Gift Certificate

amazing said:
I seriously am lost...I have no idea what brand or where to buy. I must purchase on-line, a 15' 9/10weight spey...Any ideas, facts, quidelines?? Any help is greatly appreciated!! :confused:
I've got to say, you'd have to be pretty lucky to hit this one right.

Ordering a rod blind on the web sounds too risky. You should consider a gift certificate to a local flyshop. These things are expensive and very specific to people's particular style. A person needs to try out one of these $300-800 buggers before buying them.

I wouldn't personally want to buy a rod for someone else and I've got a decent idea of what is out there.

Give a gift certificate.

-tony

#4 ·
Man, I must be losing it or worried about something...I interpreted the thread title as meaning that the guy's wife left him because he was purchasing a spey rod! LOL

Sorry I'm no help. I certainly agree that it is tough, very tough, to buy somebody else a spey rod when you don't know very specifically what they want.

#7 ·
What a relief!

After the trials of putting family budget aside for important things like fine tackle over the years, I thought perhaps one of my Spey brothers had "lost a wife" because they wanted to buy a rod! :hihi:

Instead it's refreshing to hear of your concern, I wish you the best of luck in your quest. He's a lucky man!

#9 ·
Welcome to the Board

Take Willie up on the offer to help. If he is anywhere close, he can give some help in trying out some rods. It is also a good idea to get some help with the casting initially. Lessons can help shorten the learning curve considerably. In fact that is probably the best place to begin, as that would give some idea of what might be best to purchase. Most instructors have a number of rod/line combinations to try out as a part of the lesson.

#10 · (Edited)
Purchasing on-line is not that bad. The trick is to find a shop that has your best interest at heart. There are a number of shops who have earned the trust of the members of this board. The only one that I have dealt with is Mike at the Red Shed Fly Shop and have found him to be personable, knowledgable, and very responsive to questions that other shops might find trivial. He was even nice enough to allow me to place an order for a Solstice rod and have it arrive after the holidays. :hihi:

Oops! - I am editing this post as I just re-read the previous ones more carefully and this is a UK purchase. I echo the post above, PM Willie.

#11 ·
amazing said:
I noticed this was your first post here. If it doesn't work out with your current guy please come back and marry me. A spey-rod-buying wife has got to be the catch of a lifetime.

#13 · (Edited)
amazing said:

From a beginners viewpoint, if you have to buy one for christmas without trying one out the redington red at $250 american is a very good choice. If you have the time to try out rods, try
redington
loop
cnd
gary anderson
meiser
winston
sage
tfo
scott
g loomis

#14 ·
Steve, very good list of rod makers. And most pleased to see you've included Anderson and Meiser from Southern Oregon. I've used/cast many of their rods and, with few exceptions .. my casting style/ability ... they're all top drawer equipment.

I'd just add one more to your list: Burkie's. But they're not an inexpensive rod. But if that price range in on your list two to consider are his 7wt 13'6" and the 8wt 13' 9". Both WONDERFUL casting AND fishing tools.

#15 ·
The lass is in the UK

Makes purchase of a USA rod, especially from some of our independant makers, a bit difficult. Not so much the purchasing, plastic is accepted world wide. But evrything else considered, local would be easier.

My suggestion would be to negotiate lessons with Willie and a gift certificate for the rod of choice after the lessons have pointed the way. Of course just as in fishing, presentation is the key. :lildevl:

We should all be so lucky. :wink: Do you look anything like the Hardy girl? :D

#16 ·
SparseHairHackl said:
Man, I must be losing it or worried about something...I interpreted the thread title as meaning that the guy's wife left him because he was purchasing a spey rod! LOL

Sorry I'm no help. I certainly agree that it is tough, very tough, to buy somebody else a spey rod when you don't know very specifically what they want.
Oh man me too! Glad to hear that you're the wonderful kind of wife that actively SUPPORTS her hubbys obsession. I'm blessed with one of those too.
Kudos!
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.