Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good freind lost a Wheatley flybox on the Thompson this past weekend.

The box was filled with some very sentimental flies given to him by freinds that have passed away....it is a Wheatley swingleaf flybox and is filled with Speys, Lady Carolines, March Browns and other patterns.

If someone runs across this box or hears that one matching this description is found, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!!!!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll be up there for the rest of the month and will keep my eyes peeled. Any idea where he lost it?

Poul

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lost fly boxes do sometimes make it home:

1. a couple of years ago I lost a flybox on a remote Kootenay trout stream. I had my name, but no address, written on the box in felt pen. Two weeks later I received an e-mail from a true gentleman from Ontario who had found the box and somehow, through a friend of a friend of a friend, managed to track me down. He mailed the fly box to me and absolutely refused to accept any sort of reward;

2. 17 years ago my old Datsun 510 was stolen. My fly vest was in the trunk, containing the cumulative efforts of my entire trout fly tying career, perhaps 800 flies, including many of great sentimental value. I was planning a lake fishing vacation in two weeks and now had to do some very serious fly tying in preparation. I also bought a new truck. Two days before my departure, my car was recovered, and the fly vest was still in the trunk. All that was missing was a sleeping bag, a case of beer and some camping food, which the thief probably needed more than I did. The unforseen upshot was that I now had about 1000 flies to take fishing, and was more prepared than ever.

Poul

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just spent a couple of days on the Thompson, much of it in the Musrray Creek area--sorry, no sign of the flybox. I did find an LL Bean belt at the tail out of the Graveyard, I left it displayed prominintley on top of a rock thinking the owner might return looking for it.
Try posting on the Fish BC board. A fair bit of lost property shows up in the postings at that site.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I hope the owner gets it back, I have a feeling I know who it is and I have even seen the Wheatley and the beautiful Spey flies in it. I am also a Wheatley fan and would be crushed to lose my swingleaf.

Fishermen are a good bunch of guys for the most part and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he gets it back.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An Update

Although he thought it may have been left at Murray Creek, the last he remembers seeing it was sitting with his vest on picnic table at the Acacia Grove...they were staying a cabin. So it maybe wandering around the grounds at the resort as well.

Thanks again for all the concern... :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fly box

I was up on the T on Thursday and Friday and talked to a guy on friday who picked up your box at Rainy's rock.The guy was in the log cabin pub and was flashing it around he was pretty proud of his find. I don't think you will see it again he asked me what I thought it was worth.I told him the box was about $100 ca. and the flys tyed on gold hooks and had many with jungle cock could run as high as $5.00 ca. .He figured it to be worth over $300 .00 and said he was going to give it to his brother because he was a gear fisherman and had no use for it.I told him he should leave it at the pub with John and Lorrie i'll bet there was a reward for such a jem.He said it would have to be over $300.00 to make him turn it in.I think his name was Dean a fairly heavy guy about 280lbs and about 6' 2'' with thick glasses. I see him in the pub fairly often, kind of a loud mouth I'm sure you will hear about the box if you hang in the pub often. Sorry I don't know more.:confused:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
well, if it's a reward that's needed...

...to get that box back, I'll trade a Fly Logic Dec Hogan 1307/4 Spey rod (retail value $595 USD) and an Airflo Delta Spey 7/8 (retail value $65.95 USD) plus 3 hours worth of private casting lessons ($150 CDN) with anyone who will return that box to me in one piece with all of the flies intact (I will in turn pass it along to Ryan who will see that it arrives safely home) . The 1307 is a great summer steelhead/light salmon spey rod, and I know fellows who also use it in the winter for Vedder-sized steelhead.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
If I stuff my swingleaf Wheatley with flies, will you take mine? :devil: Just kidding, of course - things like this are too unique to be substituted. That's quite an offer Dana, I hope the person is smart enough to take it and not only reap the reward but show himself to be an honorable man and angler given the opportunity.

A couple of years ago I found a brand new pair of Maui Jims on the marsh grass during a conclave. Two of our members volunteered to take the initiative to find their rightful owner and using the reach of the site, they suceeded! The grateful owner was our sponsor Captain Arthur Sawayer of Finfun Charters, who rewarded the guys with an unforgettable day on the water on his awesome boat.

I hope the outcome here is good as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am still haunted by the fly wallett I dropped some wheres on the Pere Marquette 10 years ago. I went looking for it the same day when I realized it was gone at mid day, but no luck. Wish there had been an internet then to at least try to communicate to other fly fisherman that may have found it.

This must be some fly box with that type of reward being offered.

I now carry multiple smaller fly walletts and boxes in different vest pockets which have a diversified assortment of fly types in each. This way if I ever lose another box I will still be able to fish not having all flies of one type in the box that is lost. In other words "Don't Keep All Your Eggs in One Basket"

Of course I have not lost another box since.

Hope it shows up for the owner since I can imagine what they must feel like.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can say that the box's owner is floored by the support he has recieved. Members of Flytalk and Speypages can not be thanked enough!!!! :) :)

If it is gear/float/drift tackle whether it be rods, reels etc. etc. that are needed to insure its return then the one that found the box will be entitled to more then his fair share!!! Guarenteed!!

If it flytackle, the finder of the box or his brother will recieve his fair share as well.

And if it is strictly hard cash that is needed to return the box to the owner, that will be provided.

The box contains a couple flies that are priceless to the owner of the box...everyone has possesions along those lines and hopefully the person that found this box will understand that and what karma is.

THe owner of the box is one of the most generous persons I have ever come across and I am positive that those involved in the return of this box will greatly benefit.

If anyone has any more info., please email myself or call me at work, 425-643-2246 and ask for Ryan or Dennis and I will stay in touch with Dana.

Thank you all very much!!! You are all true class acts!! :)

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more thing, the owner of this box has been busily tying flies to get himself back up to stock. These flies will be part of the reward...

...and Juro and myself can attest to the masterful flytying ability of my good freind.

Thanks again!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I don'y care if the box is full of glo-bugs. If the guy who found it knows that its lost and someone is looking for it, he needs to return it. Should Dennis feel obliged to give a reward then more power to him. If the guy knows and still keeps it, I would think a call to the RCMP or other authorities is in order. I bet this would put him in a more returning mood.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I find it pretty upsetting that there is someone out there who actually has it and is trying to intentionally profit from the owner's misfortune.Hopefully someone will run into this person to set him straight.:mad:

If a possitive ID can be made on the person who has the box,I would tell him that he either return it (for a reward if elligable) or that the RCMP are going to be contacted and told that he stole it.That should make his options pretty clear.Saying that he stole it isn't any more wrong IMHO than for him to be withholding it from it's owner for profit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just read all this and I agree... call the police, make a police report.... then go to the pub and find out who the guy is from the pub owners... I will leave it to you immagination from that point on. Ask the owner if you can post a notice at the pub with a discriptiuon of the box and a decription of the guy you think has it. see what that does...

·
speypages brother.
201 Posts
lost

It's one person that ruins it for everyone,next thing youll have to worry about is these guys going through your vehicle,or your camp while your fishing.(on the thompson)It shouldnt happen!!and its not because hes a gear fisherman,I think its because he has no respect for the river,fish and the fisherman.Part of the reason ive returned to the "T" for so many years is the guys all seem to look out for eachother,somebody should get a description of his vehical. maybee we can all send you some of our own flys to restock your box!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts