Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres a fly i tied. Tied in hand purely for fishing. I chose this one for kind of the same reason as so many steelheaders tie the beauly snow fly: it looks like a egg sucking leach abit. On a 3/0 long shank.

I chose do do it as a mixed wing, by stacking the strips of each feather and just tying each wing on seperately, then brushing it up abit. Not my favorite method but for fishing i think it will be ok. Once i get my dyed turkey i will do a married wing version and spend more time on it.

I plan on fishing it this winter on a long line and a fast sinking polyleader. this was a spring salmon fly i think and im pretty sure the werent greasing their silk lines before fishing cold high water.

Comments and critiques are welcome!
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great fly! A tiny bit top heavy for me, but I love the mixed wing, looks like a terrific pattern.

You did a fine job on this one! CJ

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Very nice!!!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Love it! Looks like a wonderful fishing fly and I bet that wing compresses nicely once in the water. gorgeous effort.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thans everyone!

The wing does look a little heavy even though i went light on materials... I think the mallard strips are too thick which makes it look bulky.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I really like it. Great job; I don't have enough dexterity anymore for "in-hand", but really appreciate those who can do it.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
That is a really nice fly. And you already noticed the once thing that I'd change, that is use less bronze mallard for the roof. About 1/2 less width would do it.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Is that one of those Gaelic harrison bartleet hooks? Barb looks familiar...

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Well done Andrew !!
I would fish that on a full intermediate line and a long FC leader ... deadly !!

Like you mentioned , I read somewhere that our fore-fathers of the two-hander would pre-soak their silk lines the night before to help sink the fly , even role the furled leaders in clay mud . So sink-tips are really not that new to this game either .

Really cool fly and I think I like your mixed wing version better than the typical married strip wing . Much better contrast and profile , which are key factors in getting the attention of both salmon and steelhead .

Well played laddie :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I dig your style, Andrew. Your nod to the old ways is inspiring. Using the Gossamer thread ain't "cake" but you've made a proper fly fit for the archives but has got the soul and grit of angling.

Take a bow, sir.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks adrian,

I actually find gossamer the easiest to tie with in hand. Seems to hold wax and grip a little better for me. sometimes it breaks spontaneously but thats ok. For wings i sometimes use a thicker diameter silk thats normally used for rod wrapping, pearsalls "naples" i think its called.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Andrew.....your hand tie is getting better and better !!
Love the this pattern for silvers.....very nice tied Andrew !!!
BRAVO !!

Jin

PS.....I saw the fly you left at Angelo shop.....love the fly too !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts