Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a very stupid (and/or basic) question so I ask your forbearance if it is. I have a used Hardy Princess I bought on ebay - just a reel for fishing. The spool wobbles a bit laterally - a bit more that I would prefer. I like a little play but when it clacks against the frame loudly when used this is a bit too much. The St. Aidan I have that is seemingly built on more or less the same design, by comparison, has tighter tolerances in this regard - what I would call perfect.

So my questions, (1) is this a normal feature of some princess reels I just have to swallow? and/or (2) is there anything I can do to tighten this up a bit? Seems like if I open the part where the metal latch is, and maybe tweak the latch (bend it a bit?) it might tighten things up. Any recommendations would be great.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,844 Posts
Mine

Is like new and tight as a drum

I do have a Sovereign that acts like you are describing

I will watch this thread closely

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Without seeing it, I don't really know, but it sounds as if maybe the spindle is a bit loose in it's setting in the frame. I don't know how else the spool could wobble.

I'd check in with Bill Archuletta.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I was thinking some kind of very thin washer on the gear side might do the trick - enough to wonder it there wasn't one supposed to be there and missing - though I knew in my heart that was not the case. So is your recommendation not to open of the other end and have a go at the latch somehow?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I concur with contacting Bill Archuletta. He fixed a loose foot on my Hardy Salmon 2 and was very prompt with the repair.

Mark

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
As Eastside says ......

Yes, I was thinking some kind of very thin washer on the gear side might do the trick - enough to wonder it there wasn't one supposed to be there and missing - though I knew in my heart that was not the case. So is your recommendation not to open of the other end and have a go at the latch somehow?
Send the reel to Bill. :smokin:

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,844 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like more than this particular reel probably deserves. On the other hand new ones are around $300, so in that light the expense doesn't seem so much. I wish I could just find a washer at the local hardware store. I probably need to find another princess spool first and see if it is the spool or the reel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts