Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you folks use? Braided mono? Welded? I think T material has a mono core. Everytime I try to weld this stuff I destroy the core... Looking for some pointers/ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I just fold the T-material over into a small loop and secure it with a single nail knot using 15lb. Maxima. If I want to get fancy I coat the nail knot with Pilobond or Aquaseal.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I just fold the T-material over into a small loop and secure it with a single nail knot using 15lb. Maxima. If I want to get fancy I coat the nail knot with Pilobond or Aquaseal.
Ditto!

Mike

·
Administrator
19,089 Posts
I use to do the fold over thing , but found my mono leader would cut through the T-coating .
Now I use a small braided loop , two nail knots on the end of the braid to secure and a thin coating of LOON UV Knot-Sense over the knots and the end of the braid . Works like a charm and the braided loop is very durable against the mono and I haven't had to replace them since .

Mike

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
PC284237.jpg
This is t-12 as it was done at Lost Creek Flies for me. Mike stripped a few inches to the mono core for a perfection-loop to tippet.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
To prevent the tippet material from cutting into the loop of T-material I use a small section of heavy 25lb or 30lb Maxima with a surgeon's loop at each end. Then I loop my 15lb Maxima Ultragreen tippet to that. The heavy Maxima won't cut into the T-material.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I switched to Godshall's Zink several years ago because it's so easy to weld. And it allows the construction of dual and triple density tips.

T stuff can be welded successfully with an adjustable temp hair straightening iron, but it's still a pain to do. And to me Zink is a superior product; in ease of construction, casting and effectiveness in the water.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

·
Registered
153 Posts
What do you folks use? Braided mono? Welded? I think T material has a mono core. Everytime I try to weld this stuff I destroy the core... Looking for some pointers/ideas. Thanks!
Airflo's T material welds much easier than Rio's. I hear SGS's Zinc material is also easy to weld. If I don't weld, I used braided mono loops.

briansII

·
Registered
202 Posts
I switched to Godshall's Zink several years ago because it's so easy to weld. And it allows the construction of dual and triple density tips.

T stuff can be welded successfully with an adjustable temp hair straightening iron, but it's still a pain to do. And to me Zink is a superior product; in ease of construction, casting and effectiveness in the water.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads
Sixheads is so on target. Steve's Zink is far superior to the 'T' stuff and I get perfect welded loops with much less effort than tying a nail knot.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I clamp the loop in my tying vise, use my bobbin to tightly whip-finish with clear nylon thread, moving the loop down a bit at a time until I have approx 1 cm covered. I then remove, trim the T tag end on an angle and coat with Knot-sense.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a local fly shop do mine. They carry Airflo T material and have a welding station. Makes perfect loops. Just had some T-10 made up yesterday actually:hihi:

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you are cutting into the coating you are over tightening. You don't need to go that tight, just enough to deform the coating a little bit, not so much as to cut it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I prefer to use gelspun instead of mono for the nail knot material. And if I have some handy I will coat the nail knot with aqua seal and hang the knot under tension to get a nice small loop...never had one fail unlike the braided loop that was in a line someone gave me that was done in a shop. That failure cost me a 20+

·
Registered
945 Posts
This is interesting. I've had welded loops in Airflo T fail (professionally done) but not a braided loop. Love hearing all the different way guys have developed to deal with this situation. Might have to try them all.

CT

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
I use home made braided mono loops / sleeve type on the ends then secure with nail knot of 8 pound mono. I use the sections of T in the mid section of my leaders and without the braid the mono butt or tippet will cut either end. To avoid mono cutting the welded loops on my expensive lines I make a braided loop connector. Pretty simple, you end up with about a 3" piece of braided mono with a loop on each end, the tips meet at the middle. You just loop it to the line and then your various leaders to it, no more shaggy looking welded loops on those lines this way and no they don't hinge. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts