Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recieved an SA 11wt Striper "coldwater" Fullsink intermediate for overhead casting on the LGL9116. IMHO, its pretty close to perfect, but I would like to try a 12wt also, just to compare. I kind of think loading it a bit deeper may get a bit more power out of it. I tried the same line in a 13wt and its way to heavy. With the 11wt line the rod casts it with a nice fast crisp action off the tip. With a 15mph wind coming over my left shoulder I was easily making casts of 110ft from the reel to the fly.

I also just broke down and finally bought a digital camera, so I included a few glory shots of me playing with my new toys.

Final bit of line shooting out

Stripping

Conditions on the lake side

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,909 Posts
You should give the new airflo forty plus double hander in the clear intermediate, you will be blown away!

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
jamey, north wind?

Why are you casting in the brown water?

The fish are in the green water!

Gary

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
thanks for the report. From the photos it seems that your hands are pretty close together. Care to share your thoughts on how the narrow grip works for you as opposed to a wider grip?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gary: yeah, wind was coming from the NE. I have probably caught just as many in the brown as the blue.

Sspey: I know what you mean, but it seems to fit me good, my grip on rods with a full cork is a bit tighter than most would be. If I am using it for "spey" applications, I usually have my thumb and fore finger of my upper hand right in the "notch" at the high end of the cork. In that pic I think my grip is pretty narrow because I am trying to stretch towards the fly to get the most distance I can out of it, not that it helps, but in the back of my head it seems like it does :). That stick is really something, everytime I fish it I am astonished at how easy 70-75ft is with that thing, even with a big nasty on the end.

If anybody was thinking about buying one, I would jump on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts