Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve heard that Loop had problems with breaking blanks during fishing.
What are your experiences with Loop quality, especially the Yellow Line 13,2 and 14´?
Has Loop eliminated the problem?
Greetings from germany
Stefan

·
Registered
14 Posts
9132 yellow

I have fished the 8/9 yellow on the Ponoi, in Malibu, in San Francisco Bay and the Hudson River for stripers, on the Trinity, Smith, Yuba, American and Rogue, on the Kalum, Copper and Skeena, and maybe a few other places in the past year. It is kind of slow and strong, with an action that you can take all the way down. The softer tip makes it more challenging to lift lead core in slower water, but once it is in play it controls it well. The yellow finish has flaked in a few places, and the ferrules need to be waxed and taped (somewhat loose on this rod). My only failure is that the lowest guide sprung from the wrappings, which I popped back in and epoxied (and intend to send in for re-wrapping). For a rod in its class it is remarkable. I have not experienced it blowing up or collapsing, and I've fished it pretty hard, and sometimes well. It kind of reminds me of a slingshot, with the heads, and an IM6 with line. It is light and strong and very sensitive, one of my favorite fishing rods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bob,
First of all, the bellicose tone of my last post is a bit embarassing. I had such fun learning a lot about underhand casting with the 8124 yellow that I took it everywhere and tried to do everything with it. Now my rod count is such that I have to choose which rod for what application, and now I am at the foot of the long line ladder. And now, I need to seriously think about inventory reduction...But, in response to your question - I have been using both the Loop superfast sinking head and tip, and a 24 ft. length of LC 13 left over from singlehanded days for getting deeper. In the surf it is overhand, and on running water I use the roll, snake and switch to throw the heads. My distance is maybe 100 feet...I currently think that trying to throw big Clausers and dumbell articulated leeches with the 8124 is beyond me, particularly when a heavier set up will do the job more readily...This 'game' for me is one of those cases where the more I know the more I know I don't know...Maybe I should look for work in strategic planning....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a yellow line 14ft. 8-9 3 weeks ago to learn spey fishing in oregon. Was very good to learn with but the but broke of after 2 weeks of fishing now i'm back in switzerland and will bring back the rod to the shop. will see how aftersale service of loop is....:mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loop Green Line 9140 - I've got the Green, not the Yellow, but I do have a some experience with the Loop warranty. The rod itself has been flawless. Loop includes a spare tip when you buy the rod. So my 4 piece rod was actually five pieces in the case.

Like an idiot, I busted the tip while trying to grab a fish. I layed the rod down on the gravel bar, the fish bolted, and the tip snapped. Entirely my fault.

Warranty service is a little confusing. I bought the rod in Canada, but brought to my local "Loop Dealer" here in the US. They were no help. So I checked the web and called the "Loop Service Rep" in Oregon. He was no help, so I called some "Loop US Distributor" in Florida. He was no help. So I emailed the factory. A guy named Magnus responded and was able to help me. For $US 25, Magnus sent me two new tips. This took about 4 weeks total from breakage to replacement.

I like the replacement policy from Loop for a couple of reasons.
  • A replacement fee for warranty service reduces the initial price of the rods.
  • The spare tip means no down time while waiting for repairs.
However, service in the US is confusing and slow. Apparently, Loop had some quality control problems at the factory that was affecting the supply of replacement parts. According to Magnus, everything is fine now.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Bee Gee Right

I added the Loop Yellow and Green to my Shop’s Try-Rack (The Try-Rack is just that rods ready to go to the River so my clients may take the rods out for test cast) last November.
I must say I am impressed they have been cast many more times than a privately owned rod would ever think of being cast with no complaints.
I have sent them on the road for number of clients to test cast.
I have used the Loop Green with the Loop Adapted line and must say it preformed great.
The Yellow is a mellower than the Green and has a very fast self-dampening action.
You could not do better than either of these rod.

If you are in the Area stop by and give one a try
:smokin:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Loop Yellow Line 14 8-9

So I went to the shop in switzerland and the guy gave me a new piece against the one I broke, the question is know that the new yellow lines have a different description( 9 istead of 9-10) and the but is also different just color and a little longer. The guy in the shop didn't wanted to change the whole rod.
And now I don't know if there is a difference between the blanks of the old ones and the new ones?:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yellow Line

J.C.,
I´ve heard the Yellow Lines changed in the last years, getting a little bit faster. So I think it can´t be optimal to get a piece from a newer one for your rod. I would contact the distributor for switzerland Michael Ladefoged, Tel. ++45 6594 4446, [email protected]. He speaks german. Or maybe better contact Loop direktely in sweden.
They should help you. Loop can´t be interested in bad publicity in this forum.
Stefan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yellow Line

So I called the distributor and he told me that there was absolutely no difference between the different series of yellow lines!
So I should be allright, but I don't now if I will consider a another loop rod as a next buy (the gray line looks very nice)...
My rod also has very loose ferules and the rings could be bigger so I think I will go back to american 25y garantie and be more relax.
By the way I use a 8/9/10 Rio WC with tips and want to change to a Midspey but I don't know if I should take a 8/9 or a 9/10 any advice?
:confused:

·
Registered
378 Posts
J C, the biggest problem with LOOP is knowing what to do with all the money you saved. That said the warranty can be a little confusing as dealers in different countries sometimes have a different set of rules in regards to warranty replacement.
Through the shop here we have sold close to 40 LOOP speys in the last year. Of these I have seen two broken tips(10150 yellow&9140 green) one of which was completely self inflicted. My feeling is that this is a pretty good average compared to a lot of other brands.

I have fished the 9140 yellow quite a bit and have been fortunate to try a wide array of line configerations on it. As for your question on which mid spey to load it with... either line will work depending on your level of casting skill, personal casting style and where you would like to pick up the line. Most people find the 9/10 to be perfect, this is especially true if one intends to cut the line back for the addition of heavier sink tips. Picking up the whole head will be difficult with the extra weight- about 8 feet of the thicker stuff inside the tip will probably feel pretty good for most casters. If you would like to pick up the whole head and are more of a finesse caster, you may want to try the 8/9. Like I said though, the 9/10 is the choice of probably 80% of casters.

Another option you may want to consider is the Airflow long Delta in either the 9/10 or 8/9.This line is similar to the mid-spey and the above rules apply. I prefer the Airflow long delta 8/9 but also like to pick up the head with just a touch of overhang.

I wouldn't give up on Loop, just remember to wax your ferrules.
Brian Niska

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lines for Yellow Line

Thanks a lot for the help, I think I will go for the midspey 9/10
with tips...
j.c.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts