Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son-in-law is in the process of shopping for a new 14' general use spey rod. He favours a traditional action. He has looked at both rods but is having trouble deciding. Could someone with experience with both, outline their comparative strengths and weaknesses. I have heard that Loop has had a problem with rod breakage, along with warranty issues in Canada. Has this problem been solved? I imagine it's too soon to tell how the CND warranty is working.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Bebop!

The Loop Yellow and CND Expert are two excellent but very different rods. Your son-in-law would find that the Loop has a progressive action (bends progressively through the blank as more line weight is added to the cast) that is somewhat more mellow (mellow yellow?) than many of Loop's other rods, and by this I mean that it is a little slower than the Blues or Greens, but it is certainly not a traditional action spey rod. The CND certainly is a traditional action spey rod--on a typical cast the entire blank responds no matter the length of line out. The Loop was originally designed for underhand casting shooting heads, while the CND was originally designed for longer line lengths, but the Loop does very well with longer lines, as does the CND with heads. In some ways trying to compare the two is a little like the old apples and oranges thing--some people like apples and some like oranges. I know the Loop comes with a tube, but I'm not certain if the CND does, which isn't a big deal since a spey-type tube can be had for a reasonable cost.

I have a 14ft Yellow rod in my demo fleet that has been in use now since the spring of 2001, and since then it has been fished pretty hard and it is holding up just fine. I've broken rods of just about every major manufacturer over the past several years and I think that the Loops are doing as well as anyone in terms of durability. The warranty issue you refer to I believe had to do with the initial availabilty of spare parts into Canada, but that has been addressed. Certainly if anyone is having warranty problems with their Loop stuff I'd like to be notified of it (by PM or email please) and I'll do my best to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

Obviously I like Loop stuff, otherwise I wouldn't be on their Pro Staff, but I like the CNDs too, and I think the best move for your son-in-law is to try the rods and see which he prefers. I have my 14ft Yellow here that I'd be happy to let him test, and CND's Canadian Pro Staffer lives in the Lower Mainland as well (kush), so you could approach him about trying a rod as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dana, my son-in-law is currently up north, I'm doing his shopping. Will you be bringing the Loop yellow out to Pegleg on the 7th, if you attend?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
yes, I can bring it along. I might be off to Denver that weekend so that's why I'm a maybe, and I won't know until next week, but if I can make it I will bring the Yellow and also the new 13ft Grey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts