Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about adding this stick to the arsenal, and was wondering how it handles tips (probably 8 wt Rio tips cut down to 10') and big flies (4-5" lead eye tubes). I'll probably go with an Adapted head for the main line. I've settled on this length and line weight, and have heard really good things about the Yellow, just not sure if it's the ideal rod for me. How do the Blue and Green in this configuration compare?

Thanks

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Matt!

It depends on the rod action you prefer. The yellows have a medium-ish action, while the blues are faster and the greens faster still. Also, I'm wondering about an 8 weight for throwing heavy stuff--would a 9 weight be a better choice (the Loop 9132--13ft 2in for 9 weight), or is the 8 weight in that 12ft 4in length good for your fishing conditions?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Loop yellow 124/8wt

As chance would have it it, I took my new Loop Yellow 124/8wt out yesterday with the Rio WC 789 and tips spending about 2 hours on my lagoon going through the floater and tips with all the casts right and left hand up. I love this rod. My first intro to the Loop rod was a purchase of the Green Loop 132/9wt. The yellow is more progressive than my green, but as my casting style is evolving(and I'm a relative neophyte), my bottom hand is now about 65% of my power and I really feel the Loop rod supports this style. The rod revue for the yellow 9wt attached to which there is a brief note on the 124/8wt can be found in the rod revue section---and I fully concur with what you will find there. The series of rods I had were just too noodily--for MY(to be fair) under-hand, short-belly, evolving style. The Loop rod feels just fine, the workmanship is excellent, and bottom line, I think Loop gives you a very good bang for your buck. Being Norwegian, it takes a lot to make me say such nice things about the the Swedes!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, Dana and Clyde. Funny you should both mention the LGL 9132-4: Already in the stable! Love the rod, just looking for something a little lighter and shorter for rivers such as the Yakoun. Might just save my money for classified water permits next fall :smokin: . The 9132 IS a pretty good all-rounder, handling everything up to chinook. Decisions, decisions...

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I've wet a line in the Yakoun in the summer but not with a spey. A 12-1/2 footer would be about right.

The yellow is a very different animal than the green, but as long as you slow down your casting stroke and relax you'll find it very sweet. I used one on the Dean a few years back and loved it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, screw it... Who needs money when you can have a sweet yeller fly rod? Whistler made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Dude missed his calling... Should be selling used cars :hihi:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I've messed around a little with that 12'4" Yellow Line with an adapted 8/9 line kit and I think it is sweeet!
I think you will be pleased with your purchase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts