Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Over the winter I acquired a used Yellow 13'2" 9/10, but haven't had a chance to put it into service, until now, an upcoming salmon trip to Labrador. I've test cast it with a 'de-hinged' Accelerator 9/10/11, which I was pretty happy with. Does anyone have a favorite line choice for this rod? Also, I've noticed that the Yellow 14' 9/10 is highly regarded by Kush and others- how does this rod compare- ugly step-child? or worthy sibling? Any comments appreciated! Thanks-

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rio Midspey 9/10 works well for both rods

Macspey,

We use the Rio Midspey 9/10 for both of these rods. My brother has the 13'2" yellow and I have the 14' yellow. I also use a Windcutter 7/8/9 with upgrade on my 14' yellow.

For pure floating line work I prefer the Midspey over the Windcutter. With tips it's the same preference for both.

For me the 13'2" requires a slightly faster stroke and the 10 inches additional length of the 14' does make a difference in handling. For my casting abilities I'd prefer the 14' on bigger waters. Both rods cast tight loops and shoot line like crazy. They both like lots of bottom hand action during the casting stroke the 13'2" more so for me.

I'm pondering the 12'4" yellow for real tight quarter work but am intrigued by the CND 13' 8/9... the trick here though is wait for the right moment with my wife...:eek:

Andy

J

·
0 Posts
Don't ignore the Loop Adapted lines for use with Loop rods. Though some compare them to the Windcutter, I find they are at least as different from that style of line as the Windcutter is from a Mid-Spey. I believe that the Loops handle the Adapted lines better than any other line I've tried on them, just as I feel I've found no other rod that casts the Adapted lines as well as Loop rods do. They really were made for each other. I agree with Andy, bottom hand involvement is crucial in getting the most from all the Loop DH rods.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have used both the yellow line and blue line 13ft 2 rods with the airflo delta spey 8-9 lines and the both work great on these rods and are a usefull alternative to the adapted loop lines for more traditional spey casting techniques

1 - 4 of 4 Posts