Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve read a lot of interesting posts about CND speys in this forum.
But I´ve not much experiences with different rods except my old Sage 9126 and the Loop 14´ Yellow and Blue Line. And I´ve no chance to try out a CND here in germany.
Has anyone tried both (CND Expert/Custom and the Loop Yellows or Blues) and can compare them? Are the CND similar to the Yellow Line speys?
Are the CND speys good suited for casting short heads like the Loop Adapted or Guideline Power Taper?
Stefan

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Stefan S, Speybum had a good post of the CND 1308SP Custom and the Loop Adapted 9/10 line. It is in the Tackle section under the heading "Loop Adapted Line one the Cnd 1308 8/9 Custom".
I believe he is familiar with the CND rods as well as the Loops.
Take care, MJC

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
It's hard for me to provide insights without coming across as unintentionally biased, but objectively I can tell you that Marlow Bumpus has been doing some experimentation with the CND 13' 8/9 Custom involving a Skagit line that I am sure is similar to the Loop Adapted line (although we'll need to look at the specs, they are both shorter compact versatile line. You might contact him directly by PM or email for his thoughts on the match up.

He mentioned that he liked the reserve power of the high modulus graphite, lightweight and stiffer tip for pushing spey casts.

At the Sandy Clave we tried a few spey head configurations including the Hardy, Loop, and a new Skagit line, and the line flew beautifully on the rod as well as others.

I think in the end you should try them all and choose what suits you best. If you are willing to pick up the shipping and place a refundable deposit I would be happy to send you a demo rod to try.

Best,
Juro

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have tried a Windcutter 8/9/10 on a CND Custom 9/10, a beautiful piece of equipment, and in terms of action it's a little tighter than a traditional Sage 9150-4 using the same line set up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Loop/CND

I have a 7wt loop black series and I like the rod. It works great for what I need it to do. I have never tried the Yellow or Green series yet. But IMHO I think the CND is a crisper and tighter rod. I would not quite classify it as a fast action rod such as a T&T or a GLOOMIS GLX type. But it is not as slow as the Sage traditional spey rods. I was very impressed with the 7/8 Custom and the 8/9 Custom CND rod that I had the chance to try. The weight, balance and feel of the Custom series was excellent. It did everything I asked it to do and it seemed so effortless once you get the casting stroke down. Good Luck and Tight Lines.

·
Registered
19 Posts
CND Customs in new lengths?

This question is to Juro regarding the CND Custom 9/10. I'm wondering if CND has anything in the works to manufacture this rod in more than one length other than the current 14'?

Thanks Juro.

Ron

·
Registered
427 Posts
Stephan,

the only way you can really answer this question is to take Juro up on his offer. Try the rod and make the decision yourself, as many have said they are very nice rods.

andre

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
CND Custom Series Rods

Ron, I'm not Juro, but the Custom Series come in 3 lengths and 4 line sizes.
13'-7/8, 13'-8/9, 14-9/10, and 15'-10/11. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, MJC. I was checking to see if the CND Custom in the 9/10 weight only will be coming out in another length other than 14'.

R

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I wondered if that was the question you were asking, 9/10 in any other length. Yes, you are right that is something only Juro knows or Nobuo. Sorry I misinterpreted you question. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you

Thanks for your help.
Special thanks to Juro for the offer to send me a demo rod. This must be the best way to answer my questions by myself. But I think the shipping to germany will be very expensive. So your opinions are further on very helpful for me.
Stefan

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Shipping Charges

Stefan S, I don't know about Germany but the charges to ship a 13' rod in a case from Idaho, USA to Norway were UPS-6 business days $108.00, and United States Postal Service Air Parcel Post-10 business days $29.00. Take care, MJC

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Re: CND Customs in new lengths?

ahab said:
This question is to Juro regarding the CND Custom 9/10. I'm wondering if CND has anything in the works to manufacture this rod in more than one length other than the current 14'?

Thanks Juro.

Ron
Nobuo-san is constantly developing new rods that complement the ones already available in the CND line. IMHO the 14 foot length is matched wonderfully with the 9/10 weight application, hence this combination's popularity for decades. That being said, CND is constantly developing new rods that complement the ones... :smokin:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Juro-
Many of us Washingtonians, as you know, love our 15' rods.

I think if CND were to design and produce a 15' for a 8/9 or a true 9 weight, it would be money as the 15' #9 configuration is such a good seller (although part of that maybe due to the fact that the 9150 is a better caster then the 9140, the 1509 ARC is a better caster then the 1409 ARC etc.).

Another idea for Nobu to play around with is a 15' for a true 7/8...I love my Winston DBF 7/8 but it is not a #7!

I know Sage is getting many many requests for a 15' for a #7 and for CND to cork them would definately provide the consumer with a rod they are looking for but can not find as well as secure CND as an upper eschalem (sp???) rod manufacturer.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
as well as secure CND as an upper eschalem (sp???) rod manufacturer.
They are already there!:)

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
MJC said:
They are already there!:)
Ooops!!...I didnt mean it like that as I will be the first to argue that CND is in fact up with the 'big boys'.

Ask us (members of the Form/Speypages) and anyone who has cast the rods and they will agree-CND is a major player and can compete (and win easily) when compared to some other big name manufactures out there!!!

I meant it more along the lines as to how they are viewed by other manufactures and such (this is based upon some conversations I have had with industry professionals).

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Ryan, I knew what you meant but I just couldn't resist. :devil:
Take care, MJC

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
BTW

Ryan,
I think you said it all.:smokin:

I like the Whole line have since the first time I cast them and hope to see some more models down the line.

15 for 7 Love it
or
Better yet
17 for 9 would love it.

Juro,
Threeteen for 10/11 for Chinook .
I cann't wait to try your Striper rod.
:devil:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Aaron,

Now you talking! You are begining to sound like me wanting to have a 17 foot rod. I want one (actually I really want an 18 foot fast action 11 weight; but a 17 footer would be better than the 15 1/2 and 16 foot 11 weights now available) in a true 11 weight with a fast action though instead of one for a 9 weight.

Juro, I agree with Ryan that a 15 ft 9 (or 8/9) weight CND would fill an important niche. Althouh I'd like it to have an action like the old G.Loomis 15 ft 8/9 IMX (like the one you have), a rod I wish was still in production even if only as a blank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts