Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had the thumbscrew on their Loop Modern Traditional reel loosen when retrieving line or winding in a fish on a long line? Mine does, but I can't figure out why. In fact, all I have to do is set the overrun tightness and wind in the retrieve direction for minute and the thumbscrew loosens. My reel is set up for left hand retrieve, and I am not hitting the thumbscrew with my retrieve hand. The reel is going back to Loop, but I wanted to know if this is a common problem. My Sage 705 (Loop 1.5) doesn't have this problem.

G

·
You're going about it correctly. Send it back to LoopUSA in Oregon if it was originally purchased in the US. I've never had that happen so there must be a simple solution. I'm curious how you got it set up for LH retrieve since I'm not aware of any difference in the reel whether you use it LH or RH other than how the line is wound on. In other words, there is no clutch or gear and pawl arrangement to switch it from LH to RH. Incidentally, I'd do this rather quickly as the Loop distributorship in the US is in the process of being changed. It is not clear yet whether LoopUSA in Oregon will continue to exist as Rajeff sports has been appointed the new importer/distributor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JR,
Duh, you're right it works both ways. The point I was trying to make was that I am not hitting the thumbscrew while retrieving, which would loosen the thumbscrew. The defective reel is a DryFly, which has no counterweight on the spool. I'm wondering if the unbalanced spool is making some sort of vibration that causes the screw to turn.

With the distributorship change, I hope my reel is still covered. Its two months old. Do Loop reels come with a warranty? I never filled out a card or anything - I still have the receipt.

John

G

·
The warranty is effective regardless of the transition in distributorship. It might take a bit of time to determine where to send it. You might want to try Rajeff Sports (866.347.4359) and see if they're set up yet to do warranty work. They might be in a position to tell you if Ron Larson is still going to be the point man on warranties. The serial number and the receipt is all you'll need. I'm guessing that you got the wrong thumbscrew. It appears that the only difference between the thumbscrew for the Dryfly and the NymphW is that the former is just slightly longer. Somebody probably missed it in QC at the factory. Good luck, and let us know how things go.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
A simple fix

If Loop can't solve your problem, try inserting a very small " O" ring under the knurled tension knob. It should create enough drag and friction to stop it from backing off. I have used this trick on more than one piece of sporting equipment and it solved the problem. As an example: I used to use the O rings on the broadheads and target points of my arrows shot from a very fast compound bow. If the heads didn't rattle loose using the O ring I really doubt that the tension knob of your Loop will do it. I own the 3W and have not had the problem

Let me know if it works.

Cheers
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.