Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know anything about loop spey rods
Just bought one on e-bay to use on my kayak.
Its much more rod than I had hoped for .Don't
think I can use it for my intended use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought that I would be able to cast with distance while sitting on the kayak. However
its quite a club . Tried in the back yard and
could not use it in a seated position. I put on
a 10 wt. line and attempted to cast standing ! however, it seems the rod wt must be different on a spey due to amount of line that can be airborne on a it. (I used my 10 fly pole line) or I just bought a club !!My fault for playing on e-bay not
ever having one in my hand before ..I bought it..
I did come to this site due to buying it.So all is not lost. You have some serious fishermen here.Maybe I'll use it on stripers this fall After weightlifting all summer i'll be able to cast it!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Seamoose,

I saw the loop spey rod on Ebay you bought. Must be the 14 foot 9/10 weight. Too heavy for the Great Lakes steelhead and salmon I do. That was a good price at around $ 200 the last I looked last week. You can probably sell it for what you paid. Lots of Spey fishers on this board that may be interested.

Can see where it would be difficult to cast from a Kayak assume you are in the NY salt water bays, like Barnegat, or the rivers Manasquan etc..

I am an ex NJ guy. My family still lives in Freehold Township and Whiting.

Good Luck, if it was a 7/8 weight Spey rod I would be interested.

Hal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got it !9/10 14' Its a nice rod but a lot of rod it is! Anyone interested drop me a line ! I don't think its going to ever leave the house!
I envy you (PMFLYFISHER) I just finished re-reading one of Robert Traver (John Voelker) books and my winter round of Geriech . You have some great fishing out there!I'm from NE Pa and
love the trout but living here Ive tried to make the best of the salt. I live on the Mulica but freshwater is lacking due to warm and highly acid water.I sold the big Saltwater boat and I'm going
to Kayak or travel to the NE streams . Life is going past too quickly and I'm not fishing enough.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Seamoose,

Post it in the fly tackle section of the board. There are lots PNW spef fishers on the board now who will be interested. That rod is for the big rivers out west.

Upper Midwest great lakes states have some great trout, salmon, steelhead rivers for fishing. Thats why it is hard for me to get on a plane and go west with all of the oppurtunities within a 3 hour drive of Chicago area. Actually can be into good steelhead fishing in 90 minutes. Whats unique about here is that you can fish for these species essentially 12 months a year. Back east it was April to September for trout. At first it was strange to fish in the winter for trout and steelhead, but I got used to it fast.

As for fly fishing in your area now, I would gear up for the stripers and blues which I hear are excellent now in NJ. Try IBSP, love that place. For fresh water I grew up trout fishing the Catskills, Beaverkill, Willowemuc, etc. Loved the West, East, and Main branches of the Delaware also. Try kayaking the delaware. I was getting into the Shad fishing when I left in 1979 for Mid west.
Smallmouth fishing in delaware was outstanding also.

Good luck and tight lines.

Hal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Salt has come a long way over the last few years. The Striper Fluke,and weakfish have come back strong. I did try shad near New Hope one year
.I haven't had much luck with Fly in the salt. SO I started throwing pork chops to the fish. Not that I didn't enjoy this fishing and I'm not a purist by any means but the game of it all became lost. So I'm tring to regain something by using a fly more often than not.Maybe the kayak will be more versital if not a small skiff. My big boat took a hr to launch another 2 to clean and haul home and 50.00 in gas. I could'n do the spurr of the moment stuff.So I going to re arm !. I miss the boat (ego I guess) but sitting with your chop draging on a lb of lead on the bottom along with 20 other boats following the same drift racing to get to right spot then having them bumping into you when you get a fish sucks.Then any fish that do come in are done for because they are hooked in the belly." Maybe this is midlife crisis" Could be why I ordered the long rod !!!!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Seamoose - welcome to the fraternity of flyfishing enthusiasts and I think you are 110% correct that the fly rod will more than rejuvinate your love of fishing over draggin' bait if I may be so bold.

Since you are from NJ, I hope we can hook up together this season on Cape Cod, Rhody, or if we can get down toward your neck of the woods. I heard your striper action heats up months before ours does... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I live on the very upper part of the Mulica River Near Batso historic area . Next month
the Herring will come up to the little dam here and people come out of the woodwork with nets. The striper will come up after them . They liveline the Herring for them. I haven't fished them in spring so I can't comment .I did tie some flys in a class to represent the herring (never used) I have fished them in the fall with large eels on the bottom at night . They come in large then.
I chased them to Salem Mass 3 years ago . The wife did the Historic thing . While I waved a 9 wt at them . I think I caught 2 blues in all (I should have brought an eel with me!)Anyway if your headed this way I'm presently off Sun Mon and can put up 3 or 4 (more if you don't mind the floor),in trade for casting instruction.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Seamoose,

The kayak should be OK for some of the Barnegat Bay areas I think and NJ tidal rivers, just don't get caught on the outgoing tide
it could be a long kayak trip back :D :hehe:

I know what you mean with the big boat fishing. I have a friend here in Chicago who has a 27 footer which he uses for Lake Michigan down rigger fishing for salmon, steelhead, trout etc..

Running plugs and yes flies on riggers down to 50-100 feet.

He has wanted me to go with him, but really can't get into this fishing had been when I lived South Bend Indiana onthe other side of Lake Michigan.

Hal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
PMFlyfisher , It can be cool The boat deal , but my time is limited . I would leave work and drive 45 min home change put the stuff in the boat rush down to the ramp and get in . Then try to haul the beast out by myself hurry home clean things up!!
One night a cable broke and I was using the remote
to winch it up while standing holding the rear to go on straight. Luck had it that I didn't have a leg in the way, 3500 lbs dosen't stop till its all in the water. So I stoped rushing out, got out only 6 times the last year so I sold .I miss her but she sat too much , I have a 16'canoe a 12' Alm. 6hp and the Kayak . I may try to find a skiff
if the kayak dosen't work or a 16Lund and dump the 12 .You need to have time if you dock , and it eats at you when it sits and you don't have time to enjoy. Better get back to the rod !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts