Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading on another site that Loop is changing its name for its reel components and selling factory direct, at very steep price decreases. Do you Loop tackle guys know anything about this?

Zach

·
Registered
562 Posts
Rajeff Sports distributes Loop in the US, maybe they will see this post and respond. Loop reels are incredible reels it would be nice if they were less expensive,

Gillie

Visited the site above and you can find prices on the site. If they are truly the same reels they are substantially less than the Loop versions. I know Dana is Loop Pro Staff, maybe he can comment.

Gillie

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Danielsson is a original manufacturer of LOOP Reels. I don't see why after the name change the "new" reels would be different from the current LOOP reels.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I have spoken with Denielsson in Sweden.
Danielsson representative in US is Ron Larson who has been handling service for LOOP in US.
His telephone is 541-673-9810.
Here is US link:
danielsson-flyreels.com/en/start_us.php

As many of you know Denielsson name is also engraved on all current LOOP reels.

Retails prices are 45% lower!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Thanks for the heads up re this link

salmo said:
I have spoken with Denielsson in Sweden.
Danielsson representative in US is Ron Larson who has been handling service for LOOP in US.
His telephone is 541-673-9810.
Here is US link:
danielsson-flyreels.com/en/start_us.php

As many of you know Denielsson name is also engraved on all current LOOP reels.

Retails prices are 45% lower!
Thanks! This is great news! :chuckle:

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dana-

I simply don't understand their sizing scheme. Is a 5Eight a 5 weight to 8 weight reel?

I am looking for a reel that will hold roughly an 8 or 9 weight Midspey or a #10 Windcutter. Which of these reels would do that?

Finally, where did the Composite reel go? I was REALLY looking forward to a 45% price drop on that one.

Zach

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Zach--

5-8 is a FW( feather weight, 3.75" diameter, 1.10" inside spool width) reel for single hand rod. My holds entire steelhead line ( 65' head) weight 7 + over 100 yards of #20 lb Dacron.

As far as line capacity of 8-12 LW ( 4.25" diameter, 1.25" inside spool width) will hold 200 yards #30 lb Dacron and 8/9 Rio
Midspey.
HD-9-13, regardless what LOOP said, has the same diameter and capacity as 8-12 LW.
If you use 9/10/11 WindCutter you can still put about 160-170 yards of 30 lb Dacron.
For long belly line you can connect 70 yards of 30 lb Dacron to the end of the line and then attach 50 lb Spectra to Dacron.
This way you and up with minimum 150 yards of backing and in majority of cases you will never see Dacron.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
So....

...will the current Loop dealers be selling Danielsson now since the North America rep/distributor is the same, and what about price structures? Does that 45% savings remain so on the shelf in US shops after tarriffs and taxes?

Might be impossible to sell the models currently on the shelves marked Loop rather than Danielsson for 45% more. That would be a serious hardship on the dealer.

I do have to admit that a HD 11-14 for 45% less would quickly find it's way into my hands where before it would have been considered too expensive.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Moose,
I spoke to the rep today and I don't know what the situation will be in shops but it does appear that the prices on the web are after any potential tarrifs or import costs.

With the quality of these reels and the new lower prices I think all the other reel companies are going to be awfully nervous :eek: .

Gillie

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Gillie said:
Moose,

With the quality of these reels and the new lower prices I think all the other reel companies are going to be awfully nervous :eek: .

Gillie

They should be. If this turns out to be true some reel purchase plans in my immediate future just changed! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Based on my conversation,I belive you can place the order right now.
There will be no discount for guides from current price.
I would not be surprise if this indroductory price will not last more then one year and then the reels will go to fly shops for higher retail price.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Moose said:
...will the current Loop dealers be selling Danielsson now since the North America rep/distributor is the same, and what about price structures?
Nope. Reels will be sold by Ron Larson (US Rep) only. And he is NOT the distributor for Loop in North America. That would be Rajeff Sports in the US, and Fly Angler Dist. in Canada. Think Mr. Larson has been the fix-it shop for Loop reels in the past; that's where the confusion is stemming from.

Salmo: I also got the impression you could order the reels now, although Ron said they won't be in for a couple weeks (maybe sooner).

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still very interested in whether the composite reel has been closed out (shortest life in history if so) or if it too will be dealt through the new company.

Zach

J

·
0 Posts
Ron Larson was the distributor for Loop for several years. He became the warranty/repair/handyman when the distributorship was moved to Mangove Boats in Florida. He was scheduled to maintain that same responsibility with Rajeff Sports. Interestingly, his phone rang through to his message machine on Tuesday before any of this became known, but just rang and rang all day yesterday. The idea that these reels will sell for 45% off for one year and then go back to the current retail cannot happen. Once the price is lowered you have established that as the "worth" in the eyes of the consumer. Kicking the prices back up a year later would kill the product. The trend seems to be to sell direct. I know Powell rods isn't doing nearly as well with this approach as they had projected, and after an initial surge in sales I believe the same will end up being true here. The real problem with the high price of many foreign reels is the sorry state of the American dollar. Prices have had to be increased in US dollars almost 30% over the last two years just to allow for the dollar/Euro exchange. Perhaps this business model is the only way to keep some of these products within a price range that consumers are willing to spend. By the way, it appears that this affects only Loop reels, as their other products, including the rods, are not Danielsson produced.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know, the thing is, regardless of the reasoning, this is going to come as a hard blow to any of the shop owners in the US who have $1500 in three reels sitting in their case. There's a shop north of Knoxville that has Loops, and it is a small, new shop. This is going to hurt them. I'd be looking to eBay for Loop deals, and if anyone has Loops they have been thinking about getting rid of, now might be the time to unload them near their retail, then purchase a new Daniellson and keep the $150-$200 change.

Zach

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
While searching for specs on these reels I'm finding differences in models between loopusa.com and looptakle.se. The US site lists an Evotec 8-11 with a taller spool but somewhat smaller capacity than the 8-12 listed on both sites. The 8-11 is not listed on the loop.se site. Also there are Traditional and Modern Traditional reels listed on the US site and not the .se site, it only has the Modern Traditional reels (no Loop Traditional #4). Anyone know why this is? I'm interested in that 8-11 if Danielssson still produces it. I've tried to access the Danielsson site but apparently they're having problems. Some pages work sometimes, others are not and they're contact e-mail form is not functional. I've also not yet been able to confirm actual prices other than the claim by members here of a 45% savings, as the Danielsson site is short circuiting. :Eyecrazy:

1 - 20 of 120 Posts