Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, you helped me out so much so far, I have another request. Nor quite sure if i want to sopend so much $$ on a SAGE rods that wouldn't be my primarily rod. So I am looking at teh Loops. the shop that I got the Sage from also carries the Loops, but cannot find much info on their Blue Line series. I have read Dana's review of the Green 9132-4, sounds like a nice rod, but may still be up there in $$, plus it may be too fast for me (is there such a thing). Just wish he reviewed a blue line though. how are these rods? Secondly, what is the Loop warranty? I live in Calif and I am getting the rod from Canada. Will i have warranty issues. i bought my Sage from there as well, and didn't ahve a problem from Sage. Any comments on either the blue line 9140-4 or 9132-4. How soft is the black 9140-4? From what i understand the green is the fastest followed by the yellow, blue then the black.

Andre

·
Registered
15 Posts
Loop Yellow

While I have alway's used Sage, this summer I picked up a Loop 14' 9wt yellow. This has turned out to be one of the sweetest casting rod's I have so would highly recommend it .

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Andre D,

I haven't fished the 14' Blue, but I spent a considerable amount of time with the 15' Blue this past season. The Blue is a cannon. I think it is faster than the Yellows (which I also like - especially the 14' Yellow!), it is not as fast as the Greens, but for me that is fine.

As a comparison I had been fishing the Sage 10151 (green) and once I tried the 15' Blue there was no contest - the Loop was doing business for me on the big runs of the Thompson.

If you are looking more to a 14' rod I can really recommend the Loop Yellow, I consider it to be one of the all-round best speyrods I have ever cast - period. There is just something about it, it casts effortlessly, it is powerful yet light and it is great to play fish with - it is the complete package.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the Loop

Ordered the Loop Blue 9140. Almost went witht he green, but tis was a little bit more. Thought that I shouldn't break the bank incase Spey isn't for me. Also thought that the Green may be just a bit to fast starting out and I know the Blue was a tad slower. Anyway, now I need a reel and line! I think I will be happy with it.

Andre

PS Thanks everyone for all you input, you don't know how much I appreciate it.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
good choice, Andre!

Ever since I joined Loop's Pro Staff in the spring of 2002 I haven't reviewed any more of Loop's gear on the Spey Pages because I think that would be a conflict of interest. Besides, the fact that I am a member of Team Loop I think says all that needs to be said about my impressions of their tackle (hmmmm...when I read that last sentence back it sounds a bit snooty, but I don't mean it to be :( . My point is simply that I really like their stuff, and that's why I agreed to join their Pro Staff :) ). I think it is great that so many people have tried the rods over the past few years and have chosen to record their thoughts--good or bad--about them here on the clave.

My all-time favorite Loop rod was the 9140 Yellow. I got my first one in the fall of 2000 and the action convinced me that the color was just a bonus. ;) Then Henrik Mortensen and I fished together in the fall of 2001 at which time he worked for Loop, and he brought along a 9140 Blue. I tried it...and I tried to remove it from his flight case before he returned home! I liked the rod so much I ended up getting one of my own and now fish it a lot. So now it is really a toss-up for me, I like them both.

I really hope you enjoy your new rod, and feel free to email me if I can be of any help!

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Dana, Tyler,
I flicked the Blue 9140-4 at M/Y the other day, they have it in the back. I was curious as to how it would feel compared to the Sage 9140-3 G3 that Tyler and I own (and we also rave about) as I recall the 9140-4 Yellow being a bit slower than the Sage 9140-3 G3. I felt from the flick, that the Blue 9140-4 was probably the closest in feel to the Sage 9140-3 G3. I would obviously have to cast it to get the true feel, but from the flick it felt amongst the closest. The Sage 9140-3 is maybe just ever so slightly quicker than the 9140-4 Blue. Do you have any thoughts on this comparison?

Scott

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Loop

I brought Loop rods into the shop after getting a glowing in reviews from both Dana and Kush.
And I must say that I have not been disappointed in the least.
I always was a big fan of their reels and the Quality was passed on the their rod line.
I have the Loop Yellow 1409/4 and Loop Green 1409/4 on my Tryrack these are two of the most cast rods.
The Green is a fast, as you want throws the Rio Wildcatter with lightning speed with very small loops.
The Yellow allows easy line pick up and with the new long belly lines lets cast as much line as you can pick off the water. The Color of the Yellow is a bonus allowing me as instructor to watch more closely as the student goes though their casting motions.
Good rods at very good price.
Speybum:smokin:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Speybum...can you tell me what you think of the loop reels.( traditional model)

I am thinking of buying one ...I have heard that the rollers sometimes get flat spots on them if you fail to relieve the pressure from the set screw...is this so? or have they improved the design.

I also heard that some of the set screws were coming loose...have you experienced this?

thanks.

Best regards...Jake

·
Registered
134 Posts
Peter, re blue vs black Loop: for whatever it's worth, Rio's line table suggests lighter lines for black than blue or green.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts