Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I guess I have lurking in the background long enough. So here is my question. Which is the older traditional loop reel 4? I've been told the reel with the smaller and narrow spool is the newer traditional 4 reel. I am at a loss because I thought LW traditional 4 with the larger spool was the newer reel. I know someone has the right answer.

J

·
0 Posts
I'm a Loop dealer and collector and I'm not sure I can answer your question as asked. The Loop Traditional 4 is no longer made. There may stiill be a few available through dealers, though. That reel is the old Sage 711 and has had two upgrades since then. The LW you mention has nothing to do with the Traditional series. The largest LW is the 8twelve, but it is not as large as the Traditional 4. It is large enough for many spey lines, but one would have to move up to the HD series for the heaviest lines or for most of the new long belly lines. Both the 9thirteen and 11fourteen will hold almost any spey line you can come up with plus significant backing. These reels are heavier and pricier than either the LW series or what's left of the Traditional series. I was confused enough by your question that I'm not sure I've answered it, but it might be a start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jr spey

Is it possible that loop produced traditional 4w in conjunction with the traditional loop4? Because I noticed the difference in the width between two separate spools. I want to thank you for the info.

J

·
0 Posts
I've never seen or even heard of a Traditional 4W. Are you sure you weren't looking at the original Evotec spool in the largest size? The Traditional, Hi-Tecs, and original Evotecs were all anodized black while the Evotec LW and HD are pewter. My guess is you were seeing a Hi-Tec or Evotec spool. One of the upgrades on the Traditional series did reshape the rim control so one spool appears slightly wider than the other even though both work on the same Traditional frame. Without seeing the reel I have no other answers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts