Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Loop Opti Running Line (Spey Running Line 8-9, Item No. OSRL8-9) and would like to hear from other members as to how it should be used. I obtained the line years ago and the seller is no longer available.

The line has two sections and both are colored lemon yellow. The first section is about 36 feet long and has a red band at one of the welded loops. The red band end is about .080" diameter and has a constant section for about 5 feet. After a quick taper, there is a long section (~ 25 feet) of about .040" diameter. There are welded loops on each end. The first section weighs about 320 grains.

The second section is about 80 feet long and has a constant section of about .040" diameter with welded loops on each end.

My question is how do you use the first section with the .080" head on one end? If you connect the two sections with the 'head' loop to loop with a scandi line, the loop to loop connection for the two sections will end up flying thru the guides after you shoot 36 feet. It seems reasonable to have the 'head' next to the scandi line where you can have some extra line extended from the rod tip, but the loop to loop connection (for section#1 and section #2) at 36 feet creates a problem.

Maybe the two sections are not intended to be used together. Could the first section be a separate scandi head? What are your opinions?

Doug

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for your reply. It is good to hear from another LOOP user.

The scandi heads that I have been using are quite a bit heavier than the 320 grain LOOP head. I have the Steve Godshall SGS 630 grain head and the AirFlo 540 grain Compact Scandi. I had thought that the LOOP head might be used as the scandi head, but the weight was too low for an 8/9 system.

The running line (section #2) may be ok, as is. The purpose of this discussion is to find a running line that does not twist from repeated Snake Roll casting. I have been finding that my RIO blue PowerFlex running lines (.030" dia.) twist after doing a number of Snake Rolls.

Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts