Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just pulled the trigger on this rod this morning on ebay. 10'7" 8wt. But read that is the SH rating and realistically, it is a 6/7 Switch. Anyone have some good info on lines for this rod? Anyone own one, input?

Never owned a Loop, and with my Orvis Access 7wt switch sold, I felt a void needed to be filled. Funny how that works...:hihi:

Any input is great.

Thanks

Avio :smokin:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Only thing I can find for you is 20-26g so 310 to 400 grains.

Got a lot of Loop rods but no switch.
Normaly some more weight is no problem for a Loop.

Greetz Ochi

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only thing I can find for you is 20-26g so 310 to 400 grains.

Got a lot of Loop rods but no switch.
Normaly some more weight is no problem for a Loop.

Greetz Ochi
Thanks Ochiba.

I saw that in a specs brochure. Also read from a few people, that those #'s are more for overhead/single-hand casting, and for spey/skagit, a 450-470gr is a the ticket. Which would make it a "true" 7wt Switch rod. More than likely it will be trial and error.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the opti switch 6107 and I am using a 400 grain skagit short on it and the rod handles the line nicely. Hope that helps

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the opti switch 6107 and I am using a 400 grain skagit short on it and the rod handles the line nicely. Hope that helps
That does help me a bit. Loop says it the line weight is 20-26gr. Which is 310-400gr. That seems a little light. But I think that is more of an overhead casting line rating. If your casting a 400gr on the 6wt, I will probably be in the 475-500 range for an 8wt. Which I have seen 475gr in a few blogs. I have a 450gr Ambush TT that I think I will try first.

Anyone else? I just sold a bunch of lines, and don't want to buy a bunch more to figure it out..:chuckle:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took this rod out yesterday. It is a great rod! Casted both a Wulff TT 450gr and Airflo Skagit 450gr. 450gr seems to be the ticket, as I was throwing 75' casts easily. The Wulff didn't like rolling over the 10' of T-11 3' leader with a 3" tube fly, so I put on the Airflo 450gr, and it rolled it over like a dream. I didn't try anything else, as this setup was "boom" every time. I have a SA Skagit @ 460gr I might try out. I think the SGS Scandi @ 422gr will work for summer stuff.

I would call this rod a solid 7wt switch. Probably an 8/9 SH rating. Whatever rating it can be called, it will have no problem with winter steel. The handle took some getting used to, but in the end, I liked the flat underside for pinching line.

Overall, it is light, strong, casts easy. But I need to hook a river beast to really test it out.:D

Avio :smokin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts