Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to share thoughts on the Loop Spey lines - the windcutter-type ones with the 50-55'' bellies, not the Adapted lines?

Both the floaters and the Quattro Tip lines are being very heavily discounted by a UK retailer. At this price they seem almost irresistably attractive, but given also that the lines don't seem to appear on Loop's website, I wondered whether they have had problems with them. Or is that just my suspicious mind?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Charles,
The gillie on the Wester Elerchies beat bought one of the multitip ones last year at there then half price £40 or so. I've had a go casting it and it is OK. We both find it to short in the head for the Spey but for a smaller river I think it will be fine. Too much stripping and shooting for me.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Malcolm. I've not really used a short head line - a Long Delta, a Wulff TT, an early Michael Evans line and DT's are my usual armoury.

I saw these advertised and thought it might be useful to have one either for those odd days when I find myself needing a fast sinker and brass tube, or else as a backup/loaner line - there are a couple of people I'm trying to initiate into the delights of big rod fishing. At £40 the quattro is 1/3 of the price of a Windcutter; if they are OK this seemed to me a good opportunity to get one even if I don't end up using it much myself.

I see there was a thread of 'initial reactions' on this line from Dana and Per S a month or so ago. Any further comments from either?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have used the quatro tip line for the last couple of seasons. I find it quite simillar to the windcutter, but I believe it has a better loop to loop attachment than the wincutter, it doesnt catch in the tip ring like the windcutter sometimes does. It is a good line for medium or smaller rivers and I find it usefull in situations where you have to do a lot of handlining. Was it Airflo who you saw discounting the line? I got in touch with them last friday to obtain one as a back up, but they had already sold out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Graham, yes, I saw them in the Fishtec catalogue (never quite untangled the Fishtec/Airflo/Tightlines thing). And yes, they're sold out!:mad:

Still, thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts