Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Double turle for up-eyed hooks, non-slip mono loop for just about everything else, but the Orvis knot for small dries (trout)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dbl Surgen...works for attaching to hook (up eye or stinger on tube) and shanks. Loop knots allow for more movment of the fly but a 2" dbl Surgen loop allows easy swapping of flies and tends to keep the fly level with the leader. Plus you can tie it in the dark with no fuss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used the non-slip loop knot ( aka as the non-slip mono knot) near exclusively for the last dozens years. Holds well and is easy to tie in the field.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Very interesting...

The start is identical to the Lefty Kreh non-slip loop knot, but the finish is outside the first loop. Very simple. It looks like even a partly frozen old guy (me) could tie this...Thanks!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Double surgeons
Try not to let the 2 lines twist as you loop them togeter. Once I have started this I have yet to have one fail. Quick n easy and use them all the time even with your eyes closed and fingers cold :chuckle:. The only knot I use on my tubes and leach/stinger patterns

·
Registered
215 Posts
After losing the steelhead of a lifetime (at least my lifetime) last week on the Bulkley this thread couldn't have come at a better time. After hooking this brute and seeing it rise and rip off an amazing run my line went limp as I screamed to the heavens on the river bank. I retrieved my line and went to make another cast and realized that my fly had come off and that the 'squiggly' tail that was left told me all I needed to know, my knot had come undone. Having used the 'leftys loop' knot with much success for many years I am now in search of an alternative. Never heard of the Duncan loop but I'll research it. Marcel, I'm curious as to how you attach a fly with a double surgeons. As I understand that knot, a loop or bight must be made in the line before making the wraps and pulling it through being left with a strong loop but no tail end to put through the eye of a hook. As you all know there are many variables in steelheading that are out of our control. When one of the few variables that we do control fails, it is very disheartening to say the least. Honestly, losing that fish will haunt me for a very long time.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Rapala knot. I've never had one break. Ever.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Spaz, the Rapala looks like the Kreh with the final addition of the tag going back through the loop like an improved clinch. Am I seeing that right?

·
Registered
401 Posts
After losing the steelhead of a lifetime (at least my lifetime) last week on the Bulkley this thread couldn't have come at a better time. After hooking this brute and seeing it rise and rip off an amazing run my line went limp as I screamed to the heavens on the river bank. I retrieved my line and went to make another cast and realized that my fly had come off and that the 'squiggly' tail that was left told me all I needed to know, my knot had come undone. Having used the 'leftys loop' knot with much success for many years I am now in search of an alternative. Never heard of the Duncan loop but I'll research it. Marcel, I'm curious as to how you attach a fly with a double surgeons. As I understand that knot, a loop or bight must be made in the line before making the wraps and pulling it through being left with a strong loop but no tail end to put through the eye of a hook. As you all know there are many variables in steelheading that are out of our control. When one of the few variables that we do control fails, it is very disheartening to say the least. Honestly, losing that fish will haunt me for a very long time.
On an up-eye whatever (be that my octopus stinger on a tube or a Waddington shank or AJ hook) make the dbl surgens loop, pinch the loop through the eye, pull loop around the hook/shank/fly and pull tight. Just like a loop to loop connection of fly line to sink tip as an example. The loop needs to be at least the length of the hook/shank for this to work. I have snapped my leaders, but I've never had this knot fail. Also, since you connecting the leader and fly with a "loop to loop" swapping from one fly to another takes only seconds. Dull hook? Just change it. Too much weight or to bright or too small? Just change it...takes but a moment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
To attach a fly with a double surgeon's loop, run the tag end through the eye first then double it back on the standing tippet. Make the overhand knot by passing the fly (and loop) through the loop twice, moisten and tighten, done. The alternative is to tie the knot without the fly in it, make the loop large enough (about 2" is plenty) to pass the fly through the loop after you push the collapsed loop through the eye. The latter method allows changing flies without retying the knot.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Spaz, the Rapala looks like the Kreh with the final addition of the tag going back through the loop like an improved clinch. Am I seeing that right?
absolutely correct!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Actually, and I'm not sure if this matters but, the Rapala knot has the tag end going back through the initial small loop from the opposite side as where it left the initial loop.
On the Kreh loop, which I've never used, the illustrations show the tag end going back through the initial small loop from the side that it left the loop.

I've also used the Rapala knot for years and have never had one fail that I can recall.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts