Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why they stopped making this reel? I have found a few on Ebay and other sites still for sale. I had heard a few rumors that they were having problems with the drag system. Any clues? I really wanted to buy one when they first came out, but had a hard time justifying the cost of damn near $800.00. Now that I can find them for under $500.00, I may be tempted to buy one provided they were not mysteriously shaving off a few digits when chasing a steelhead hell bent for leather.

Thanks all

Dan

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Hi Tech

I too had the hots for these reels once upon a time. But, like you, I could not justify the $800 price tag attached to them. Simon Gawsworth told me he had experienced some problems with these reels. You might want to talk to him before you lay out $500. There are a lot of really good reels available for that kind of money.

J

·
0 Posts
Loop Hi-Tec

In actuality, you've answered your own question. Loop quit making the reel because it was too complicated to be able to sell it at an attractive price. I've used several of them and had no problems whatsoever with any of them. However, the complicated nature of the reel scared off many saltwater flyfishers. When the time came to either increase the price again or modify the reel and bring the price to a more reasonable level, Loop simply chose the latter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts