Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired one of these (used) reels, and with a spare spool. Each spool kindly already loaded with backing and fly line (I think DT 9 S Cortland on one spool, and DT 9 Floater with sink tip on the other).

However, the reel is set up a Right hand wind. The reel and spare spool are in good functional condition, just a few cosmetic blemishes.

As there are no instructions with the reel, I have no clue how to change the reel to a Left hand wind, nor even how to change over the spool.

Could anyone who owns/uses this type of reel give me any pointers as to how I may change the spool, and change from Right to Left hand wind?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mike

·
Registered
352 Posts
change of direction

My advice is to send it to Ron Larson in Oregon who was the Loop repair person in the states. You can find his address on the Danielsson site as he now does service and sales for them. He knows these reels and if I remember there are alot of parts in those reels. This isn't as simple as most.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DIY or RIM??

I am less keen to send the reel to the US (I am in the UK), only due to time factors, however, thank you for that helpful contact.

Although I am an avid DIY merchant for most fishing items, I would certainly not want to become a RIM buddy (Ruin It Myself), as that would definitely be a backward step.

I can usually figure things out with gear that is essentially mechanical, but this reel has me stumped.

Mike

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Daniellson Reels are a brand new sponsor of the site (nice to have one of my favorite reel makers represented here) and it looks like they have a contact us form on their site:

http://danielsson-flyreels.se/us/kontakt.php

Give that a try to see if you can get a hold of someone on your side of the pond,

-sean

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Loop Hi- Tec 4

For what it's worth, I used to have the hots for this reel. When I inquired about the same thing, changing from left to right hand wind, I was told it was not a simple job. Only to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. And do it with both hands and the reel inside a plastic bag. There are a lot of parts, very small parts, in these reels. And they tend to go flying all over the place if not handled properly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi-tech

Mike, I have the original instruction booklet for the reel. Send me your postal address and I might send you a copy!

I have had my reel for maintenance with Danielssson (great service!) but since the cork drag rings tend to need grease quite often, I decided to learn how to do it myself. But the reel is no less than complicated! To change direction one of many rings inside needs a turnaround. To give you an indication of what you can run into, the instructions starts by saying that you must not open the reel unless it is kept in a plastic bag!!!!!

Greetings from Norway

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Instructions...

Mike, I have the original instruction booklet for the reel. Send me your postal address and I might send you a copy!

....Greetings from Norway
Many thanks for the offer.

PM sent.

Mike

·
Registered
445 Posts
NO! NO! Speyducer!!.......

................don't do it!! The bearing for that reel is a series of inidividual ball bearings that fit concentrically between the spool and the frame of the reel. Those bearings are inidividual,not mounted in a race. So guess what happens when you take it apart? Sort of like 52 Pickup. I'm not saying you can't do it,but remember you have to get it back together. We're fortunate,we have Ron Larsen at Danielsson. He can put Humpty Dumpty back together,or better yet,have him service the reel from the start. There must be someone in your area who can do this for you.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Mike,

If the distributor in UK can't do it, the easiest way to solve your problem is to sent the reel to Danielsson AB in Sweden.

Luckily, the HD reels have such a simple design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts