Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, can anyone provide some recommendations regarding what Guidleline Power Taper shooting heads match a Loop Greyline 15ft 10/11?

I'm looking at purchasing a new shooting head kit which will consist of both the traditional Power Taper heads which are 14.7yards long and also the new long Power tapers which are 17.7yards long. I will be buying these in various densities.

Is it as simple as matching rod rating with head rating? i.e. 10/11

thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had the chance to test some of the new Guideline Powertaper lines of 14,5 m and 16.2 meters and I recommend all who consider new heads to check out these when they eventually reach the shops during the winter.

Yes, I think the answer is straight out - use the 10/11 for a 10/11 rod. However, the Guideline Power tapers have previously been rather inaccurate both in lenght and weight, and some have had a tendency to be too heavy. Check this before buying or return heads being too heavy so you dont have to cut them too much to get the right weight.

good luck,

Norwegian

storlaks said:
Folks, can anyone provide some recommendations regarding what Guidleline Power Taper shooting heads match a Loop Greyline 15ft 10/11?

I'm looking at purchasing a new shooting head kit which will consist of both the traditional Power Taper heads which are 14.7yards long and also the new long Power tapers which are 17.7yards long. I will be buying these in various densities.

Is it as simple as matching rod rating with head rating? i.e. 10/11

thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Norwegian, many thanks for this advice.

What did you think of the new "longer" heads? How do they compare to the shorter ones? I have tried (once) the shorter heads before and, yes, I did find it a bit heavy.....but it was an 11/12.

Would you compare the Power Taper long(16.2m) to a short headed Spey line ( i.e. loop Quatttro) in terms of head profile (ignoring the fact the loop line has 4 tip densities), performance (i.e. potential distance) and presentation?

cheers

·
Registered
328 Posts
Guideline PowerTapers in weight 37grams is the best for the rod. Try the Hover´Clear Blue Intemediate & Sink1/2

·
Registered
260 Posts
I´d second Jacob there. There´s absolutely no need to use a 11/12 Power Taper with a 10/11 rod, since the Power Tapers are a bit heavy. For example, along with my B&W 15,3 9/10 I use a 9/10 Power Taper at 12,5 meters. Guideline themselves recommend people to use *lighter and longer* shooting heads. I guess there was a time when many people used very short and overly heavy shooting heads. A short head is of course handy in some cases but an overly heavy head is no use, not even on shorter distances, I feel.

I haven´t tried the new long shooting heads and I´m quite pussled as to what the idea is all about. Most people doesn´t like to pull the shooting head into the guides (no matter how well you splice and glue there´re always tendencies to snag). With a long shooting head that you try to cast only at its full length seems like a non-versatile sollution. Why not go with a spey line if you want a longer head? My suspicion is that Guideline wants to tap into the spey line trend/market, with out going the full distance and manfacture real speylines...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Storlaks -

I find it hard to compare heads with full lenght lines. But the prototype of the new Guideline heads I testet, first of all was characterised by a far better presentation ability - I guess the front taper is much longer than previously. At the same time the line had kept the shooting and distance ability of the old Power taper heads. The line I tested was 14,5 meters and also had an interesting colour - white/grey for reduced spooking of fish - and had a weight of 42 grammes - a good weight for most 10/11 rods.

BTW I tested the line together with the Loomis RR Stinger GLX 15 ft 10/11 - an AWESOME combination...

Regards from cold Norway

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I just need to get my hands on one of these longer heads and test them out. At least I now know not to go above a 10/11 for my 10/11 rated rod.

cheers

·
Registered
328 Posts
fredtrout: Håkan på guideline säger att den vassaste är fortfarande vanliga GLX. Stingern har lite annorluna aktion och är lite slöare men med en fantastik kraft som kommer in ibland.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Say What?

Hello Jacob,

For those of us who are Swedish language-impaired, how does Hakan Norling of Guideline compare the old G. Loomis GLX two-handed rods with the new G. Loomis Stinger GLX series (in English, s'il vous plait)?

Thank you and best regards,

TB

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry hehe.

Håkan says thaht The original GLX 15´ still is the best rod he ever had. And he said thaht The Stinger GLX 15´ was feeling a little slower but whit a hidden "force" inside that is amasing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Fredtrout

I cast the new Stinger 15ft GLX, this rod has more tip action than the Classic GLX 15ft.
The rod works perfect with a Power Taper 10/11 38gr.

Taki

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks, Rodmaker! I guess it´s not for me then. Couldn´t afford it anyhow! Now that the dollar has fallen compared to the Swedish Krona it would be a good idea to take a trip overseas and shop. Over here we´re paying TWICE as much (in *real* money) as you North Americans for Loomis etc. The dollar fall doesn´t reflect in the ridiculous prices in Sweden. Means that you can totally forget everything you know about how the so called *free market* works... :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts