Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried this rod for the first time on opening week on the Aberdeenshire Dee. First,i threaded on a Micky Evans 10/11 fast sink - no bad - as they say in this neck o' the woods. Later, as the temps. rose, i tried a Hardy Mach One 10/11 clear int., better still, [shorter head than the Evans] :)
. However, my pal, who was also christening this rod upstream, came back saying that the new Ian Gordon 10/11 Spey that i had bought, [but had yet to spool ], was too light - the 11/12 was what was needed! :Eyecrazy: I appreciate that a lot of this is down to the individual/casting styles etc., but the manufacturers sure don't make it easy for us - unless you are lucky and can try before you buy.
Bill Seviour.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
howdy bill,

i enjoyed casting the loop adapted 10/11 with tips. with this setup i used the rio slick shooter, .50lb i believe, not too sure. very easy casting and a great chinook rod for the salt. i have yet to try any other lines on this rod.

vinnie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill Seviour

Thanks Stewie,
as a matter of fact,i happen to have a Loop Adapted int. 10/11 with i think Loop's own .35 running line attached. Must give it a whirl next time out!
Cheers,
Bill.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Bill Seviour said:
. However, my pal, who was also christening this rod upstream, came back saying that the new Ian Gordon 10/11 Spey that i had bought, [but had yet to spool ], was too light - the 11/12 was what was needed! :Eyecrazy: .
I use a Ian Gordon 11/12 for my 10/11 rod and it´s just perfect. As well as the 10/11 Ian Gordon for my 9/10 rod. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ian Gordon Patridge Spey lines

I was fortunate enough to be fishing with Bill when he was trying out his new Loop Greyline.

My set-up however was a Loomis GLX 15ft 10/11 and the new Ian Gordon Spey Fast sink 10/11. Although it cast "ok" I felt the rod would have loaded better with the 11/12. As it happened, later in the day, I also tested the IG medium sink line 11/12 on this same rod and it worked the rod much better than the 10/11.

So we now have both the Loop Grey 15ft and the Loomis GLX 15ft, both rated for 10/11 lines but casting and loading far better with the IG 11/12 lines.

What's going on?

Unless you have a very good relationship with your local tackle dealer or constantly read forums like this how are you supposed to know what line to buy??? Guess or trial and error??? Typically you match the line rating with the rod, especially in this case knowing that these lines (which are new onto the market) are designed by a Spey ghillie and expert Speycaster. Surely experience should have ensured line ratings would be accurate! I was lucky, I only spent 55 Uk pounds buying 1 line which is too light for my rod, but our mutual friend bought 3!!!!

Ian G, please advise!!! Your lines are fantastic and make Spey casting effortless, but I'm not happy with the line ratings. All lines tested were the 75ft head versions.

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill Seviour

fredtrout said:
I use a Ian Gordon 11/12 for my 10/11 rod and it´s just perfect. As well as the 10/11 Ian Gordon for my 9/10 rod. :)
Thanks "Fredtrout",
I have already swapped my I.G. 10/11 Spey for an 11/12 - can't wait to give it a throw.
Scotspey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts