Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

WHat's the verdict on the new Loop Greylines around here? I am over a 1,000 miles from the nearest known Loop dealer. However, I see these rods all over eBay and they are just gorgeous. I assume they are fine casters, but exactly how fine?

Are they speedier than the entry level rods I have thrown so far? Good for longer casts?

My trout spey CND 13' 6/7 just kicks @$$ but I am afraid of breaking it (again) with my misguided attempts to learn by doing on big casts. Would I be better off learning to use full bellied lines for long traditional speys on a more substantial rod?

Zach

G

·
Zach

I just got back from three weeks of Atlantic salmon fishing on the Restigouche and Matapedia having used the Grey 13' 9 weight. I loved it. I think it's the finest double-handed rod I've used, and I've used a bunch. I also had a chance to spend a half day using the 14' Grey and found that rod to be incredible too. I'm not a particularly good speycaster, but with the 14' and the Adapted line in the sinktip version designed for the 14' 9/10 I launched, while standing up in a Gaspé style canoe, the entire head and running line with just an easy single spey. That was at least thirty feet farther than I've ever cast a spey line before. Personally, I feel that is way too far to effectively fish, especially with a shooting head system, but I was impressed with how easily the rod launched a #2 standard wire double that far.

These rods are not fast in the normal use of that term. To many fishers, fast is confused with stiff. The flex profile of the Grey reminds me of the Yellow, but the fast graphite used makes the recovery of the blank incredibly fast. I love, and have used the Yellow 8124 for several years. The Grey takes the Yellow and removes some of the slop that rod has, while maintaining the easy casting stroke required. I believe Dana has said that it's almost like a Grey Line rod slingshots the line out there. That really does describe the feel. As with all the Loop double-handed rods, it is also very light in weight.

I'm one who has always felt that the Loop rods best cast the Scandinavian styled heads so popular for underhand casting. My other Loops don't throw lines like the Mid-Spey as well as other rods I own, like the T&T double-handers. My next task is to see if the Grey Line can throw other types of speylines almost as well as the Adapted heads. If so, I might become an all-Loop speyfisher.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts