Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Could someone who has had experience with grey line-rods tell me about them. I'm interested in the 15' #10. I guess it's ideal for the underhand cast, but how does it perform in traditional spey-casting and with snake rolls etc.? How does it compare to the green line-series, is it faster, more progressive or what?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

The blank is perfect (fast action rod), but the rest ....

1. Bad Cork grasp - bad quality
2. The reelholder loosely - must stick it (after the first fishing!)
3. The lacquer finish of guide rings after 2 Months cracked.

I have a lot of Loop-rods, but this is in any case the last one !

Sorry ... for the two-handed casting, look at Guideline for example.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Metallicus,

have you tried contacting the store where you bought your rod or the LOOP rep in Germany. It sounds like you like the action of this rod and where otherwise satisfied with LOOP rods(you have some others)so I am curious why you have given up the brand?I have noticed that certain brands of reels don't fit well in the LOOP reel seats. What line have you been using on this one and what response did you receive if you voiced your concerns over what sounds like a potential warranty issue(bad lacquer)?
BN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm mainly interested on the action of the rod and for what is it suited for in your opinion. So if someone, who has had experience with the 2-handed grey line-rods, could tell me is the rod purely an "underhand"-rod, (if one can even say so) or would it manage spey as well? I'm considering it for midspey and for shooting heads as well. So how well would it work? And could someone who has tryed both green line and grey line 2-handed rods, tell me what is the difference between the two?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Whistler,

I hope my english is understandable, divides from the written must I by Google to be translated :)

I sent the rod away already 1 time, posting expenses am here in Germany very high, so the further mark would not have been worthwhile myself.

I provided the rod meanwhile with own Champagner cork thereby. The rod throws itself outstanding with a Guideline Pounch pro # 6.

If your German knowledge is good, I published a test of the rod on my web page here (if necessary translate it by Google), http://www.flyfishing-stade.de and/or http://www.flyfishing-stade.de/greyline.html . The general representative for loop found the cork good, but with 600 Euro (round 550-600 Dollars) I however used to different one.

The Report is my personal experience and personal opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
action

My 13'9 grey is very well made, fortunately.
The rod to me seems to be very light and quick - a fast action that is not stiff. I reminds me most of the previous generation GLX. In any case, if you like the precise, short and slow hand movement that faster actions require then this will be a good tool. The Loop adapted lines with the yellow connecting loop for 9 is a good match. Their new, longer olive floating head is easier to manage than the shorter white head. For a midspey style I would probably try out the 8, since Loops to me seem to be a bit lighter than others...it is really akin to the GLX more than any other rod in my experience. It will cast any style line or cast since their taper is well balanced.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Grey Line

Cast the 13, 15, and 16 foot models of this rod a the recent Kaufmans spey days. Only remember which line that was on the 13, which was a new mastery spey short very impressed with the ease this combination cast. Goran was at last years Kaufmans and said that the Grey was a lot like the yellow in action, the yellow flexed about 80% into the butt section whereas the Grey flexed all the way into the butt section. Due to the high modulus the rod feels fast, which in fact is not the case at all. The rod dampens very quickly (stops vibrating) which gives you the impression that it is very fast action. Its a finesse rod not a cast and blast.
Think the 15 and 16 Greys had the Loop heads on them which were effortless to cast.
Hopes this helps.
Leroy........................

·
Registered
33 Posts
Greyline 15/10

Hi!
Just this winter bought this rod and have tried it for couple of hours in terrible conditions. Loop´s Adapted heads for 15-16´rods work nicely, and so does MidSpey 10-11 with tips.
Bends all the way down, but recoverytime is really FAST;
requires sort of precise handmotion. Casts like cannon single- and doublespey (snakeroll? maybe, if I only mastered that cast better than I do).
Easier with shootingheads than Greenline 15/10.
Reelseat is pure crap, I wonder how Loop chose this one.
Hope this helps.
FinnSpey

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think that the reel seat issue conserns all or almost all loop rods. They should use REC or similar seats and there would be no problems.

For example, my blue 13'2'' doesn't take SA system2 12-13. The reelseat is too tight. And there's only one thin tightening ring.
Otherwise the rod is great.

Btw FinnSpey, I tried that 15' grey last summer/autumn (can't remember exactly) and it was the most tip heavy rod I've ever held in my hands. Didn't even balance with the old evotec. And normally I don't even need balancing. It might have been some pre-production model, thou. Nice to know that your rod casts well. Do you think that it is light to handle for a 15 footer?

-Sakari-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sakari!
Loop Greyline 15´/10 is not a light rod to use, compared to, let´s say, Blueline 15´/10 or old Sage GIII 15´/1011. It IS more tip heavy etc., but still not TOO heavy to use.
FinnSpey

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I cast prototype Greys last spring with Goran and picked up the 13ft 9 last summer and 16ft 11 earlier this year.

I think the characterization of the rods as having a feel similar to the Loop Yellows is accurate, but the high modulus graphite gives the rods the recovery of the blues and green, so the rods bend like a medium-fast action rod but recover like a faster action rod. For me, these attributes make them very easy to cast, whether I am using classic Underhand technique with heads, modified Underhand technique with longer belly lines, or more traditional spey casting styles. Of course the Loop Adapted shooting heads work great on them (the Adapted Long Low Float in the 10/11 is killer on the 16 footer), as do the Loop Spey and Quattro lines.

·
Registered
328 Posts
15´

This Years Greyline 15´ #10 is a new rod, its much lighter and its a much better rod than the old.

·
Registered
886 Posts
In this months Trout & Salmon, Scott MacKenzie, described it as One of the best for handling both floating and sinking lines. It has great reserves of power It is dear but justifiable for those who spend a lot of time on the river
Preformance 9/10 Build 8/10 Value for money 8/10

·
Registered
33 Posts
Willie Gun!
Just got my issue of T&S; read Scott´s comment with delight. It´s just that I think he could cast 40 yards with any stick...
Btw: T&S makes fun reading for us foreigners as well. I particularly love Fishing reports -section. Just think; 20-30 pages of information how the weather/river/fishing HAS BEEN couple of months ago in some river... I´m sure we subscribers would rather like to read, how the weather/river/fishing WILL BE in near future...
Seriously, I like the magazine a lot. I recently bought about six dozen back-issues from years 1976 - 1986. Sharpe´s spliced 14´class 10/11 (145£), Phoenix silk line DT 10 (27£) etc....
Just think if we would still be able to buy those items brand new (ok, lines we still can, at 120£ or something)
Best wishes
FinnSpey

·
Registered
886 Posts
Finn Spey, yoiu are probably right Scott is a great caster.
Have you been following the catch and release correspondance on the letters page? My most recent letter is Real Evidence. can't remember what the last was titled, I do not use "willie Gunn" in T&S

Malcolm S Newbould.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts