Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there every body that owns, or have cast the new Loop Grey line 13” #9?
Pleas let me know about your experience with that rod. I am looking for this one, but I am not sure how god is it for Spey casting with extended taper Fly liens?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I cast this rod with a Loop Adapted shooting head system in March, but didn't get the time to put a long belly line on it.I am awaiting a test rod of my own so that I can run it through a number of lines, but i have no doubt that it will work well. I'll report back once I have specifics.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
UPS just delivered a 13ft Grey

in at the local toy shop this afternoon (Loop's Canadian Distributor Fly Angler Distributing) and what do I see leaning up against the far wall? A Grey Line 9130-4! Hmmmm...let's see...I leave for the Dean in a few days. A 13ft 9 weight sounds perfect! I don't know if the gang at FAD have noticed it missing yet! Shhhhh! :D

As mentioned above, I spent a little time with a prototype of this rod and Loop's Adapted shooting heads in March; while on the Dean I'll run a bunch of lines through it and report back later in August.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
9130 Grey

okay, used this rod a lot on the Dean for overhead, underhand and underhand/spey casting with Adapted shooting heads, the Cortland 444 Change-A-Tip Spey Line (9/10) and a 9/10 MidSpey.

this rod is very cool. Loop's ad-copy talks about a "deep progressive action while at the same time delivering lightning-fast recovery." I wasn't really sure what this meant until I cast the rod. Essentially, the rod feels like a cross between the Loop Yellow and the Green--you can really feel the rod load because it bends well into the blank, yet it recovers very quickly for high line speed and tight loops. It kind of reminds me of a slingshot--you can ease into the forward cast if you want to, but once you stop the rod the blank snaps out the cast with authority. It really shines with the heads of course, but is great with the MidSpey-style lines as well. Plus it is LIGHT and DURABLE--shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I hooked a big pink salmon that got under a rock and then headed downstream. I thought I could stop it by putting the lumber to it...until the boys on the beach said "uh, Dana, don't break the rod...!" I really pushed it past anything acceptable and it performed flawlessly.

Goran says "These are rods that follow thought" and I can see what he means--you just kinda move 'em around a little bit and out goes the line. He told me back in March that he has been working on these rods his whole life, and this one is definitely a crowning achievement. The Green 9132-4 used to be my favorite 13ft rod, but this Grey tops it.

I'll try a few long belly lines on it too and report back.

I'm keen to try the 15 footer this fall!

·
Registered
75 Posts
How much?

I've also seen this rod laying down at the local shop but at 6500: Swedish krones= $780 is it worth it? Especially when the blank is form Asia. I have my doubts. Since I don't think they'll let me take it for a test spin I'll take your word about it. But I've also heard it's very similiar to the Blue Line. Is that true? Would like to get a CND over here to test against it. Just my 2 ore.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
yes, I believe they are going to be expensive--I haven't seen the Canadian price list on them yet but since they are becoming the flagship series they won't be cheap.

I find the blues a little stiffer than the greys myself, but I haven't cast them back-to-back with the same lines etc yet. I'm waiting for the 15ft model to do that against the 15ft blue and yellow that I have.

More to follow on the rods.

Per made an excellent point in another post (I can't find it right now though) about rods made in Asia. I think it is important to note that many of the rods made by even some of the top manufactureres are made in Asian factories. If you find a major rod maker with an inexpensive rod line chances are these rods were assembled in Asia.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
more lines for the 13ft Grey

GrandSpey 8/9 works well, but I suspect the 7/8 would be better

MidSpey 8/9 (A casters) or 9/10 (B casters) are good choices.

Airflo Traditional Spey 9/10 is good, as are the Airflo Delta or Long Delta 9/10 or 10/11.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I´ve tested the Greyline 15´ #10 whit adapted shooting heads. It was the beast rod i´ve ever tested! on the 15´ it was a Evotec HD 11-14 a perfect combination!

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Sweet....

I got to cast the Loop Grey 13'2 9/10 today thanks to Dana and I was very impressed. While I wish it was longer as I just like the clearance (plus I like to gage a 14 foot 9/10 to another 14 foot 9/10 for comparison, etc), I must say you can really feel the rod load up and recover quickly and the rod does much of the work for you, you just have to put it through it's motions. I put the 8/9 Grandspey on it and I'd say it's a pretty good match, but like Dana said I think the 7/8 might be better although I'd have to try both side by side to come to a final conclusion.

J

·
0 Posts
Loop announced at the FFR show in Denver that the Grey Line will be available in 12', 13', 14', and 15' models soon. When I tried to pin them down more I got no response, but it appears that all four will be available after the first of the year as the 13' and 15' are available now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts