Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone could comment on the Loop Grey 15’ vs. 12’.
Typically shorter rods feel crispier and have smaller flex.
I did cast only 12’ rod.

Martin

·
Registered
328 Posts
15´

i have tested the 15´ Grey. Its a nice, powerfull and fast tod. But it isent stiff. Loop has done a misstake (Sage too) and are building their towhanders whit uplockreelseats, on the shorter rod 14-12´ it dosen make any diffrent but on the lon ones 15-16´ the rods is being heavy on the tip. Todays new light reels needs a downlock seat. So get e blank and custombuild you rod.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Jacob - I agree with you on balance - uplock on shorter rods, downlock on long rods

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just agreeing with what has already been said.
I bought a Greyline 15' last year, and at the same time bought an Evotec LW 8twelve to go with it.
I'd been up to Scotland to have a couple of lessons with a well known UK instructor, and had used exactly the kit I ordered. He did say however that he'd had a new handle on his rod. After I got mine I thought how tip-heavy mine seemed compared to his and when I think back I wonder if he had his seat changed for a downlocking one.
Anyway, I've now got an Evotec HD 11fourteen, which has solved the problem, albeit at the expense(!) of increased overall weight. Might have been cheaper and more effective to have the seat swapped though!! :D Would have thought that these two products would have matched better.
(For my Grey15 with my Evo8twelve the point of balance was about 8" above the top of the foregrip. Downlocking seat would be better) :tsk_tsk:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts