Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. THis is my first post here so I hope I'm in the right area. My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska next year and I'm considering a new reel for the salmon fishing I intend to do while we are there. I have one that will work, an Old Florida, but I'm looking for something lighter and with a true large arbor design. So, I'm thinking of the Loop Evotech LW, either a 6nine or an 8eleven. I have a few questions I hope some can help me with. I plan on using the reel on my 9' 8wt. single hander and even though I am not into spey casting right now (I'm rather new to fly fishing in general) I would like to be able to use the reel on a spey rod in the future. Which size would be better suited to these uses? Is there much backing capacity difference between the 8eleven and the 8twelve (the 8eleven has better looks :rolleyes: ) and would it make much difference on a salmon reel? And what are your thoughts / experiences with the Loop reels in general? Any comments and suggestions are much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Welcome Benny,

If you were going to stick with the single hander I would say the 6nine would be ample, however if spey is in your future I would definitely suggest the 8eleven. Spey lines are much thicker than single hand lines - you will need the space.

I fish the 8eleven and it is truly awesome - it is a treat to fish and very cool to look at. And should you not take up the double-hander (I recommend that you do) it is still not too much reel for a big single-hander.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I agree the Loop 8eleven would be a good fit. Loop makes a top rate reel that you will not be dissapointed with. I am own two and wish I'd have discovered them earlier in my flyfishing days...they would have saved me hundreds of dollars had I started with them first. Currently I am in the process of outfitting all of my double and most of my single handed reels with Loops. However, the Old Florida Nautulis is one kick butt reel and their customer service at Old Florida is first rate. Worth checking the OF's out as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have two of the 8twelve and it takes more backing than the 8eleven. The 8eleven is not i production any more.

If you fish whit singelhand rods the 6nine reels is the option but the weight on the 8twelve or the 8eleven is not a problem for singehandrods. The 6nine reel is allso woring good on speyrods 11-12,6´, but its only if you fich whit scaninavian heads and shootinglines (shootingheads (ST)).

The 8twelve and the 8eleven wors nice on speyrods 12-16´. When you buy a rell föor speyrod you always shoud look for good balance. So the LW reels is my option for light rods. For heavier rods, i buy heaveier reels as the old Evotec, the HD or a HiTec.

ThigtLines from LOOP-land
Jacob

·
Registered
3 Posts
An 8wt rod. You must thinking about silver salmon, red salmon, chum salmon, or those 10-25 lb rainbows. They are less educated up here. Many of us simply use level leader of 15 or 20 lb which helps turnover weighted flies. If so, put about 2 lb drag on your reel, and the fish will not outrun 2/3 of your fly line. For the past season, I had landed about 100 of them (mostly silver). I have no chance what so ever to see my backing; so the size of the reel does not matter too much for your AK fishing trip. If you have a 6 wt reel with a reasonably good drag, you may not need to purchase a reel afterall. Just put an 8 wt line and about 25-50 yd 20 lb backing. That is plenty. :razz:

J

·
0 Posts
As Jacob pointed out, the 8eleven is no longer in production. The US distributors were out of stock this past summer so you might spend a bit of time looking for a dealer that still has one in stock. The 8twelve has more capacity while virtually everything else is the same as the 8eleven. There is no disadvantage to it and if there is ever the time you do take up speyfishing, you'll be very happy with that additional capacity. Since this reel is only slightly over six ounces, balance with long heavy rods is indeed a problem. I don't use mine on anything longer or heavier than my Loop Yellow 12'4" 8/9, but if it's intended to be a single-handed reel first, it's a terrific choice.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
If you need to add an extra weight to the Loop 8-12, reel in some leadcore on the bottom of the spool or add lead tape.

Salmo

J

·
0 Posts
You're right. That's been a solution for years. However, capacity is such, even on the 8twelve, that one would be a little hesitant to give up backing room to layer on a few rows of leadcore. It would almost require you to use GSP for backing in order to have enough for most uses. That would be less true for lighter line weight rods, but the reel is an ideal weight for those 6/7 or 7/8 rods anyway (except for maybe the Derek Brown 15' 7/8) so the leadcore is not likely to be needed then anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts