Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing one of these reels. I saw Dana's favorable review for the LW but was wondering what the story was on the other model (Evotec Saltwater HD?) is it overkill for steelhead? Thanks

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
switching hats to the Loop Pro Staffer for a moment!

The new Evotec HD reels are a little heavier than the LWs and the drag system is a heavy duty version of what's inside the LWs. If you need a high capacity reel for a long belly spey line such as an Accelerator or Mastery Spey, you'll want to look at the HD 11fourteen; if you fish extended belly shooting heads or MidSpey lines the LW 8twelve with 50# gsp is a good choice.

I think any reel with any heavy duty saltwater-ready drag system is certainly overkill for steelhead, whether Loop, Ross, Waterworks etc--you don't need much of a drag for steelies, just enough tension to prevent backspooling when a hot fish heads home. As an example of this I use my Loop Traditionals and Hardy Marquis reels a lot on the Thompson--these reels don't have much in the way of drag--without problem or concern, and Thompson steelhead are as hot and powerful as you'll find anywhere. On my Evotec LWs I set a very light drag, and on the HD virtually no drag adjustment at all--I fish it at "one click", its lowest factory setting and it works great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts