Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I have accumulated a few reels over the years but I keep only one on my dresser because I like to look at it as much as I like to fish it. :smokin:

Attachments

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
No other reel, at any price, does a better job.

When it comes to rods there are several brands I feel it hard to be without. With reels there is no need to go further than the Evotechs. Nothing beats them!

Per Stadigh

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Salmo,
I have an original Loop Evotec 9thirteen. There are only a few differences between the Original Evotec and the Evotec HD namily
1) Colour - HD is Grey, Original is black
2) Drag knob - Evotec HD has a smaller drag knob
3) Weight - the HD is ever so slightly lighter than the original.
4) Look, obviously they look slightly different.

The Drag systems that the original and the HD have are the same, and to put it bluntly, for Steelhead and Salmon they are a little bit overkill (except maybe with Chinook Salmon - is there anything wrong with having an overkill drag though?). The drag system is a tank and could stop a tank if you want it to.
Having said that these reels are built solidly, they look great and perform great. I am very happy with my original Evotec 9thirteen and would take it or the Evotec HD 9thirteen any day. The Evotec LW is a very nice reel as well only the largest size they make it in is 8twelve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Charlton and Bo-mohlin

Bo-mohlin might be good, but EXPENSIVE !!!!

Canadian friends of me call the Charlton ...... Ice hockey pucks, they have the price tag, but not the performance.

Loop Evotecs might be OK, but Lamson Litespeed LS 4 will cost far less and is as least as good !!!!!!!!

The BEST are called ABEL (and forget the fairy-tales of free spooling Abels, just maintain the cork drag surface now and then with a few drops of pure Neatfeats oil, and the drag will be smooth, even if you hold the reel in the river whole day..........)

Just my .02 , Gerald.

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Lowlander,
Do the reels you mentioned have an oblivious to the outside world completely sealed drag system that won't faulter or alter their performance at all if it the reel is dipped in the water or mudded up a bit?

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
Abel vs Charlton

I fished both Abel Super and Charlton 8500 in Belize. First thing I did when I came back- I sold the Abel! The Abel's drag is not sealed and the drag control is imprecise and it kept loosening as I fished.
I now own four Charltons with extra spools.

I don't care what others say. I've used them both.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Re: Charlton and Bo-mohlin

Lowlander said:
Loop Evotecs might be OK, but Lamson Litespeed LS 4 will cost far less and is as least as good !!!!!!!!
The Evotec is a true sealed drag while the Litespeed is not. I can verify this based upon first hand experience with one of my Litespeeds.

Sadly, I am about ready to send in my Litespeed 3.5 for the 3rd time to have the insides completely replaced due to corrosion as the o-ring wears down then allows water to seep in.

No such problems with the Evotecs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts