Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, still can't get the Loops off my brain after handling one in flyshop last week. Never should have set foot in the place. So now begins the justification: I could use one reel, extra spool, for both summer and winter spey rods (a 1398 Burkie, and Scott 1509; 7/8 Delta tips on the former, 9/10 Delta tips on the latter.) Would the 9-13 suit both rods/lines? I don't really pack on the backing (100-150 yds max for me). Or would the 11-14 be the better choice? If pushed, I can always just stick with my Golden Salmon for the Burkie.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
9thirteen

debarb,

the 9thirteen is more than enough (maybe even too much?) for the lines you are using--you might even think about the LW 8twelve, which is a little lighter than the 9thirteen but will still have room for your lines. I have all three reels and the line setups I use on them are:

11fourteen: GrandSpeys and XLTs
9thirteen: GrandSpey/XLT to 8/9, all mid-belly and short belly lines (MidSpeys, Long Deltas, Loop Speys, etc)
8twelve: all mid-belly and short belly spey lines (same as 9thirteen, plus Windcutter, Delta Spey, etc)

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I know nothing about the loops, but my basic philosophy is get the big reel. If you can live with the weight (and even the biggest loops are light by my standards), bigger is better.

#1 it makes it that much easier to justify getting a bigger rod later "Hey, it's not like I need to buy a reel... I'm halfway there already!"

#2 it makes it that much easier to justify getting into big time saltwater later "Hey, it's not like I need to buy a reel... I'm halfway there already!"

Somewhat tongue in cheek, but somewhat not :devil:

Dana no doubt knows what he is talking about, but bigger is better in my book.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Scandinavia

Many anglers here i scandinavia thinks that a LW 8-12 is enough on fore examlpe 15´ #10-11 but after that they are a bit to small... But i no anglers that have their 8-12 on 16´ #11... It´s a taste thing, some peapol hav HD 9-13 on fore examlpe Sage GIII 14´ #9-10 rods...some one have HD 11-14 on 15´ #10-11, its what YOU prefer, 8-12 212grams - 9-13 293grams - 11-14 350grams (empty reels).

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Given the lightness of the Loops, I gotta agree with Philster on this one. Having a lot of backing is never a bad thing, and having a little bigger reel won't through you out of balance. And, heck, you can dance with giant Salty fish if need be. The only downside is that the bigger reels are always more $$$.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts