Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i suppose you all know this already, but it was news to me: Danielsson is selling the former loop design reels under there own name now for a CONSIDERABLY lower price. seems the spare spools are interchangeable and everything. this brings a LW closer to me being able to afford one.

can i use a 6nine with a 7/8/9 windcutter and still get 150 yds. of backing onto it without crowding, or do i still need a 8twelve? i ask because i was also considering a spare spool so i could use it on 1 of my single hand rods also and didn't want a reel that would be too big. the single hander use is a far second to it's being used for my spey rod.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Crobarr,

Search the archives and you will find all you want and more on the split between the two companies. This one has been discussed ad nauseum.

In answer to your question, unless you intend on using gel-spun, the 6-9 will not hold the backing you want and a 7-8-9 WC. I have 100yds of 30 dacron and a 5/6 Windcutter on my 6-9 and it is a very tight fit. So tight that a 15' leader doesn't fit without rubbing. I doubt even with GSP if a 7-8-9 would fit.

sinktip

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the info about capacities.

sorry i seem to have brought up a sore subject. i'm afraid my browser doesnt care for the forum software, and refuses to let the search function work for me. vbulletin, some versions of phpbb, and a couple others give me problems. believe me i would love to be able to seach the archives since i have loads of unanswered questions, but i don't want to ask because i'm unsure what has been discussed in the past and i don't want to be whipping a dead horse.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firefox and opera. i refuse to use internet exploder. i can see the search page itself, but i can't get returns. even if i type in an exact match to a current thread. it's quite frustrating to say the least. i'm hoping the up-coming version of firefox fixes the problem.

thanks for the link anyhow. maybe i need to give the linux box a shot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you look at old Loop Reels you will find at the bottom of the reel the following " Design and Manufactured by Danielsson Innovation AB Sweden".
Danielsson is selling now their own "babies" which were in the past sold and distributed under Loop name.

Robert

·
Registered
24 Posts
loops

I have a Loop 3W bought in the early 80s that has been reconditioned by Loop here in the US about three years ago. It has been used/abused on salmon and salt water and is still in top condition. The only name seen anywhere on this reel is Loop.

Two years ago I bought another 3W which has reference to Danielsson Innovation as mentioned by silver61. There were some changes to perforations on the frame and the tensioning system was lightened. After two trips afield on salmon involving about four days of fishing w/ my spey rod, the tensioning system froze allowing either no spool movement or complete over-run. The three rollers on the crank side separated from the underrlying bearings. It's back for a check up. Anyone else have similar problems during this transition as I'm about to buy a smaller Loop for my wife for use on trout and would appreciate input?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
The new LOOP reels that you will find in shops will say "Designed and Developed By Loop Tackle Design Sweden, Pat. Pend" along the bottom of the rear of the frame; on the front of the spool on either side of the counter balance will be the reel model name, example "LW 7/9". These reels are manufactured in 2005 and their spools won't interchange with the old LOOP reels. The trout-sized model is the FW. Since these reels have an internal drag system there aren't any rollers involved so you shouldn't have any problems with them. I spent the summer chasing trout with my FW and my steelhead-sized LW and HD have been on the Skeena since the end of August with 100% flawless performance.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Hmm, sounds you should upgrade firefox. It is all I use on my mac, linux, and pc and do not have a problem.

-sean

·
Registered
445 Posts
............Crobarr, I think Sinktip is probably right. I have a 6/9 with a 8 wt. bass taper on it. Your best bet might be one of the 8/11 LW. But I think it was the same diameter as the 8/12 with a larger diameter spool. So it would still have a overall diameter that might be too large for your single hander.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts