Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add loop connections to a couple of my floating lines, and I was wondering what the preference is of the board members for loop connections: one made out of the fly line core or using a braided material loop, and why.

Thanks for your input,
Mike

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Loops

Sustut, If you ask 15 people your question you would at least in part get 15 different answers. A search through the spey clave archives will provide much good info on this subject. IMHO the braided loops work great. I like the stiffer ones the best. Juro's loop is also VERY GOOD. Spend a little time researching this subject and you'll find the answers you seek.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
My answer is "both"! I work the line core thru braided mono to form a super-strong loop that does not hinge. This is then formed into a loop, nail knotted together over the start of the coating with 12# maxima, then sealed with thinned aquaseal. You can color-code over the nail knot with flythread before costing with aquaseal. It's very compact (about .5") and I have not have one break yet in many years of steelheading.

Yes, everyone has their favorite, that's mine. I did a lot of experimenting before coming up with that approach - hope that helps!

link:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/steelhead/lines/tipsystem.htm

(sorry the article is about 10 years old and a bit outdated!)

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Juro quote-------

("sorry the article is about 10 years old and a bit outdated!")

Juro I disagree. That article is as relevant today as when you wrote it. It's one hell of a loop knot. Don't be so modest!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts