Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a floating windcutter and am thinking about getting some of the rio 15' sink tips to use with it. I was told to cut it back 16' and then install a loop. What type of loop should I use? Kevlar braided loops? Should I fold the line over itself, tie it down, and form a loop that way? Any suggestions? I just want to be sure that this setup won't hinge before I cut up my windcutter. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Loop Conections

The braided loops that I buy off the shelf have worked the best for me, and I have tried allot of other loop to loop conceptions. I like them because they are easier deal with when you are attaching or taking off a tip. Some of the factory loops have a piece of fly line inside the loop to hold the loop open. Take it out it causes more problems than it solves. Make sure you pull the fly line all the way up into the loop then use some super glue (Zap a gap) to secure the line loop connection and then apply the shrink fit tubing over the top that comes with the kit. I used to use a couple of nail knots to secure the connection, but I have decided that’s not really necessary. Use the ZAG method and just try to pull one apart. You cant.

Natrix

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been using ready-made braided loops for a while now, but I've gone through an evolution in how I use them. I no longer buy those that come with shrink-wrap tubing: the tubing is too big for the job at hand and catches easily on guides. Also, it is too easy to damage the braid itself when heating up the tubing. So I now buy loops from Orvis and Rio: they come with much smaller diameter non-shrink tubing. I put on the loop and cut the tube in half. I push one half down to the end of the shrink wrap, put a dab of super glue, and cover the point at which the shrink wrap ends. I then push the other half of the tube over the tag end of the fly line inside the shrink wrap, once more putting a drop of super glue on the shrink wrap at that spot before seating the tube over it. The reason for the second piece is to provide a fail safe backup to the first piece and to help protect the braided loop from the fraying often caused by the tage end of the line. The tubing provided by Orvis and Rio is thin enough to easily pass through the guides in my rods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts