Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried this reel yet? It's a composite reel rather than the usual Aluminum.

How would the 8twelve model of this reel compare to a Tioga 10? (The Loop has more capacity, but is a bit lighter.)

I know I'm being really indecisive when it comes to reels but I want to choose the right one. If I can use it on other rods all the better.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Geoff...

I have used the CLW 8-12 quite a bit. Although a tad BIG in diameter for your rod it will balance it very nicely and will have plenty of room for your backing.

I like those Tioga 10s but if you can find a good deal on a CLW 8-12 I'd say go for it. I don't think you will be sorry.

If you do a search of my posts between Jan 2005 and March 2005 you should find the post where I listed the CLW's weight when loaded with line and backing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MJC said:
I have used the CLW 8-12 quite a bit.
Jeez, do you try everything in the store? ;) Its a wonder you have any new stuff to sell. :D

Actually I'm leaning toward the CLW 8-12 because if I get another rod that takes heavier lines I'll be able to use this reel. The spools are dirt cheap too. $50 or so. It will also take a BUNCH of backing so I can take it stripper fishing on a 9 or 10 wt saltwater rod.

But I like the Tiogas too. :D

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Actually when fishing for "strippers" I've found that .... (ah never mind, it's a family site) :hihi:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Jeez, do you try everything in the store?
Yes I like to try everything in the store. If I'm going to sell it I should know how/how well it works.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the Lamson is on my short list. But it is a little more than I want to spend.

I'm still trying to decided between the Loop CLW and the Tioga 10. They are just about the same price. I'll probably go with the Tioga since my local shop carries them and it will be easier to get spare spools and parts, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts