Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my beloved Loop Blue 8124 explode yesterday, in the middle of a great day steelheading on the Salmon River (NY). I was using a Wulff TT8 with an Airflo 5' fast sink polyleader, loaded the rod very nicely, nice smooth pops out to the 50-80 ft I was fishing. Then, Pow!! She popped on a power stroke right below the first ferrule (butt section), which was firmly taped and recently checked for tightness(maybe not recently enough??). Anyway, it left the stub of the butt inside the female ferrule of section #2, and about 6" or so disappeared in the explosion, never saw it. This rod had only about 20 hrs. or so fishing time on her, 6-7 steelhead from 8-13lb., so needless to say, I'm bummed! Specially since we were just starting to understand each other:confused:

So, I'd appreciate some help from those who have been down this road with a Loop explosion- what's the most efficient road to take to get this baby fixed? I guess no warranty applies, as I bought this rod privately, though it appeared to have never been used. Don't mind paying for repair, but should I go straight to Loop? Or to a well-connected Loop dealer? Any help much appreciated!

macspey aka john

·
Registered
3 Posts
This seems to be a reoccurring problem with the fine casting loop Spey rods. No less than four loop Spey rods have literally exploded at our club, and no it was not due to loose ferrules. I lover the way they cast , but they have to re-engineer their ferrules.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Design defect

John - when a rod blows that way with the set up you were using, it is a design defect, not a caster problem.

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,Gus! and Thanks, Jeff!
This forum is awesome- but we all know that, right?:cool:

The only rod that ever popped like this on me was a trusty ole LLBean 8'6" 6wt that I'd flogged for 15 years or so, and 'accidentally' hooked into a 12# atlantic while giving my sweetie a casting lesson. I called Bean just for the heck of it to see if I had a 'lifetime' warranty, and sure enough, they looked it up, and I did! They cheerfully gave me credit for the full cost of an equivalent current rod for the replacement of my choice! I felt a little guilty accepting the replacement :hehe: - but it sure reinforced my opinion of that fine old company.

I sure don't expect a 'freebie' this time, as I happily bought this rod with no warranty implied or expected. Just a reasonable repair/replacement will be great. It's too sweet a stick to give up on!

John - when a rod blows that way with the set up you were using, it is a design defect, not a caster problem.
Ted- right on, That's what my instincts tell me, at least that's what I'd like to think... Sure didn't seem like I was overloading the stick..

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers to all,

macspey aka john

J

·
0 Posts
Rather than a design flaw, which would mean most of the same models would blow up, it is more likely a flawed blank. Since you bought this second-hand, you really don't know its age. Unfortunately, Loop had problems with faulty blanks early on in the color series. I've seen yellow, green, black, and blue rods break, all about the same way this one did, though more often it's in the tip area. However, the blanks from the last two years or so have been much more consistent. I fish little else for salmon and steelhead than my seven Loop double-handers and nothing has broken the last two years. I also fish with several other guys who own Loops, and there have been no problems at all lately.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've bought a single handed grey line and i am having more than my fair share of problem with this rod.
First the tip broke and now i am on my forth butt section, only to be told that they will be replacing all of the butt sections next month. PS all of the buttt were replace because of lose or broken cork.:eyecrazy:

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Good news is...(update)

I contacted Jeff at Loop in FL, responding to his post here. He was very courteous, and (best of all) accommodating. He asked me to send hm the rod for them to inspect, and he'd replace the damaged section(s) at a very reasonable cost. So I Fedex'd the Blue down, and am awaiting its return- so far, so good! I sure could't have expected any more. Will post when she arrives...
Best Holiday Cheer to all!

john aka macspey

and a big "Thank You" to Gus and Jeff:cool:

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is good news John. My yellow 8124 blew up right on the forward cast. Broke in the same spot, but the whip lash went right up the rod to the tip and the last 3 or 4 inches snapped off. Also broke the tip on my yellow 9140. The guys at Loop got 'em back to me pretty quick.

Matt

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Matt

glad to hear I'm not the only one... I'm afraid I'm gonna be a little 'gun-shy'
loading up the Loops for a while (just received a new one today, a Blue 7116-4, sure feels great with the office wiggle test). Hopefully we've gotten past the "problem" blanks... lift,swing, plant....SNAAAP- awww sh**t- arrggh- just hate when that happens:eyecrazy:

cheers,

john aka macspey

·
Registered
254 Posts
I tried to see if my insurance would pay for some grief counseling, but when I told them about my favorite rods exploding in my hands, they just laughed and hung up.

Matt

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried to see if my insurance would pay for some grief counseling, but when I told them about my favorite rods exploding in my hands, they just laughed and hung up.
Ha- well I guess the only route for our kind is 'self-medication'
:hehe:

cheers!

john aka macspey

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replacement rod arrived...

Well, the replacement rod rolled in yesterday, or two new sections, can't really tell. Pretty good service, considering the holiday madness. Very reasonable cost, many thanks to Jeff and Gus! I look forward to getting back on the water to giver a go, if the mercury would just creep up away from Zero..

macspey aka john:eyecrazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts