Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I am new to this forum ( and relatively new to Spey casting).
I would be interested in comments on the Loop Blue Line 7116-4 if anyone has tried it versus the lighter Sage Spey rods. I am looking for a light rod for trout fishing on bigger rivers( like the Quesnel) and for summer steelhead.

I have a Loop 9140 that I like a lot and seems to fit well with what casting style I have developed. I had a St Croix 13 ft #7/8 that seemed to lack backbone ( if that makes any sense).

Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Loop Blue Line 7116-4

Hi Jim,
it´s a shame that you don´t get an answer to your question yet. I´m interested to buy the same rod for sea trout fishing in scandinavia and hope somebody read your thread and tells us about his experiences.
I´m new to the forum and relatively new with fishing spey rods and have one more question. Would it generally be a good idea to fish such a short rod between 11´and 12 ´ for spey casting?
Sorry for my bad english. Í didn´t use it very often the last years.
Stefan:rolleyes:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I'm surprised no answer has come up yet but then again it's the weekend in fall and most lucky LOOP owners are out there using the rods until work calls again :)

On the other side of the question, the new Sage 7141 has been the subject of much acclaim lately and were it not for my tight budget I would already own this rod. It might be a little much for trout but would be a great summer steelhead rod, unless your trout are searuns. I will buy it eventually though.

The older 7136-4 falls under the soft category but I really love mine once I figured out how to load it up and use the full flexing characteristics to my advantage (instead of fighting it). I fish a 7/8 midspey on it and it really rocks. My new-found love of this rod has contributed to my hesitation to buy the new one - I can't easily justify having both 7 weight Sage Spey rods in my closet.

The T&T 7wt 13 footer is something else as well. I haven't met anyone who doesn't rave about it after casting it.

I look forward to the chance to cast the LOOP in 7wt, maybe next time I hook up with Dana in BC or in the Cascades this spring. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I just received this rod on Friday and haven't had a chance to get out with it yet. Jim, Stefan and Juro, I'll email you directly once I have a chance to try it out. I haven't cast the new lighter Sage rods so I can't compare the two, but the Loop is rated a 7/8 compared with the 5 and 6 weight designations of the lighter Sage rods.

J

·
0 Posts
I've got this rod. I haven't responded yet because I have yet to actually fish with it. I took it to the Miramichi but could not use it as I tore a muscle in my hip the first day fishing and ended up switching to a single handed rod for the rest of the fishing. I have cast it casually on a local river. It is very easy to cast and does most spey casts as well as one can expect from a 11'6" rod. I personally think it is too much rod for most stream trout fishing but seems to be fine for most Great Lakes steelhead, small Atlantic salmon and grilse, and lake run browns. I used the Windcutter 6/7/8 and the Loop Adapted Lines that were designed for it and both cast quite well. It was tough because the river I used was so low that there was virtually no current so it was almost like using a casting pond. I was more interested in that everything worked OK before I dragged it up to Canada. This is a lot of verbage without saying anything definitive, but no one else was offering anything. I hope to use it in another week around here locally. If I do I'll give it another stab.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stories - lets hear how things went!

I accidentally bought the Blue Line 7116-4 - it was on sale - I was looking for the single handed black line product 7112-3. Anyhow - I am embarking on a new 2 Handed adventure.

After the end of october this thread died - what happened with everyones new rod - The thread looked so promising and then yeilded no information . Does anyone have any fresh stories now that Winter is on us and most water is hard.

What line did everyone end up with and how did they function.

I am considering using this rod for Pacific Coho on Vancouver Island, and roaming around Lk Ontario for Migratory trout.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loop 7116 vs Sage 5120

Well I did manage to borrow the 7116 in the fall to try it out, (and tried out a Sage 5120 a week earlier) before it froze up too much in our neck of the woods.

The Blue 7116 seemed a lot faster, stronger rod than the Sage 5120, as you would expect, and could pick up sinking leaders and smaller tips without too much trouble. The only line I had was a Windcutter Versatip 789 which was probably overlining for this rod but it seemed to work OK. I think for the price this is an excellent rod for summer steelhead (or large migratory trout or coho). I have bought one and am waiting for a 6/7 Midspey to arrive for it, and for the ice to disappear from the rivers::)

The Sage 5120 seemed to be a delicate rod, and quite slow, but we didn't really have the right line to try it out. I think it might be a bit more difficult to learn to use well, but with the right line and some practice it will be an awesome dry rod for medium trout on decent sized river. I don't think it will handle tips very well. Line control is great. And it was certainly possible to cast it single handed if need be. Anyway I ordered one for late March delivery, in for a penny, in for a pound:hehe:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,
Thanks for info - its great to hear the rod I picked up will perform. I have been digging to try and find information on line to purchase.

Could you explain what a midspey is? - I am a fairly savey Single Hand Fly Fisher, but there's a whole lot more stuff to learn now.

I will be taking an intro seminar in the spring, but of course with fishing shows coming, and free time while the water is hard, I have some money just burnin a hole in my pocket. :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Mid Spey is a relatively new member of Rio's line of specialty spey lines with a longer belly section than their Windcutter lines.

All spey lines are longer than typical single handed lines, typically 120 feet ( or more). And more expensive.:hehe:

If you go to the SpeyPages website, there is a good section on various spey lines and an overview of the whole spey line subject.

If you go to the 2003 Rio Spey Line Info site at the left hand side of this forum, you will see the recommendations from one of the masters of spey casting for which Rio lines to use on which rods, including your Loop.

Hope this helps

JimC

·
Registered
378 Posts
Matt,
cool,welcome to the infectious world of Spey.Congrats on the rod,sometimes our best decisions are made by accident. Seriously the 7116 is perhaps the nicest rod for the least amount of cash that I have cast. I have tried this rod withthree different lines:
Rio midspey 6/7
Airflow delta 6/7
Loop adapted 7/8
All of these lines worked well on this rod, but one seemed to stand out. Of them the Loop is the shortest,with a head length barely over 30'. The full mid spey has roughly double the head length of the LOOP and the Delta is comfortably in between the two_One thing you will learn Matt is that where you pick the line up to begin your cast is relevent to the length of your rod. The shorter length of the Loop seems to work best with head lengths of 30-55 feet. After fishing all three rigs my choice is the middle ground of the Airflow.I didn't have a chance to try the delta 7/8 though I am sure it will be fine, especially with 4 or 5 feet less of line out the rod tip.If you are prone to fishing smaller rivers, pocket water or even overhead casting on DEAD water you may want to take a serious look at the LOOP adapted lines with their much shorter head lengths. Anyways there is no way that you can go wrong with any of these lines on that rod.
Brian Niska

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info

Wow, appreciate the great info - how do you guys get out with so many different lines at a $100+ a whack!?!

Onther question is reel and its capacity, it appears as though I have picked up a real that is too small to hold a spey line and backing. Its a Bauer M3 - I suppose when I spoke with the takle shop salesman I had mentioned I was going to be roll casting and he suggested DT line - now that I am doing a little research I think I messed up.

The concern I have is for balance, the M3 appeared as though it would be good that the balance point would move down to a manageble portion of the grip when lined - as it was with no line, the balance point was at the forward part of the upper grip. With this rod being a "mini spey" with its length under 12 foot what should I be looking for, and what equation can I make between a spey line and a conventional line for capacity. One takle shop was suggesting a reel that could hold WF12 @ 90' with 300'+ of backing would be similar to a 140 ft spey line with the necessary backing. While another said a 130 ft spey would fit with 50 foot of backing..... Needless to say I am confused and I am not in a position to take back the M3 for another reel - I picked up on vacation, it was end of stock so I got a good deal... you know the story.

I seek your wisdom and impartiality Spey masters :D

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Spey Reels

Spey lines are usually 120' long and as you have found out, have longer bellies that conventional lines. Most people say get a reel that will hold a WF12+200 to 300 yards of 30lb backing. Better to er on the large side rather than small. You dont want the reel filled to capacity because the line will never go back on that smooth in the heat of a battle with a big fish. Suggest a Bauer M5 or the largest Redington, either reg or large arbor, that you can find. Bauer has made some minor changes to their line up so many places are clearing out their old stock at discount prrices. Look on www.flyfishusa.com One of our sponsers. Also might want to check out Tioga's. Again go for the largest one.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Spey Reel Size

Matt,
If you are going to be stuck with the M3 for a while I would check out using a set of Loop or Airflo heads with a coated running line. You might find with a head system you can wind up with enough backing. As has been noted in several recent posts you could also use some gelspun for part of the backing and gain some room there. Since Brian has already told you the Loop 7/8 heads worked well with your rod I'd start there.
If you do decide to get a different reel and money is a consideration I would really look at the Tioga reels. I think if you get one you will be quite pleased.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks

I appreciate all the input - I have sent out the emails beseaching my local takle shops for "trade scenarios" and the damage that may/will occur to my wallet. Considering the reel has never been lined, and is still in the box I may get one fellow who is benevolent and takes pity - If not I'll have to buy another rod!! :hehe: and of course a reel for the 7116-4 - My better half will cut up my plastic and then I will be all set!

In the mean time, I will scour the web for more information, and wait for the instruction in May:cool:

Heres to an early spring :hehe:

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
LOOP BLUE 7116/4

Got a chance to work a little with this rod at Kaufmann's Spey Days.
I was a surprise at how easy it was to cast.
Worked a 6/7 Rio Midspey on it.
The results were very good :could cast the whole head and shoot about 15 ft. which was quite well for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speybum

Thanks for the comments on the Loop. Did you a get a chance to play with the Sage 5120 any more last weekend with different lines? I would be interested in your comments comparing the 7116 and the 5120?

Thanks

Jim

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
7116 Vs 5120

This is going to be good.
7116 is a full-blown line belching boss hog rod (always wanted to use that).
In other words it will do any thing you want it to do with in reason.
I would suspect using the Loop Adapted line system that you could throw the full sinking head with a super fast sink tip with no problem. This would be a good combination for Chinooks or Coho in small to medium rivers.
The 5120 are gentle slip of a rod in comparison to the 7116.
Lending itself to Sunday afternoon trout trips on you Favorite rivers just right for that size 22 something or another that you have tied ready to go.
Would not recommend this rod for sink tips or even sinking leaders.
Keep it like a Martini very dry and the dryer the better.
Maybe treat it to a nymph now and them but nothing too large.
Would be kick to get some of those Large Redbelly Westslope cuts on or maybe even a Sea run or two on this little lady.

In other words their both double handed rods but alas that is where the similarity ends.
:smokin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speybum

Thanks for the comparison of the two rods, it confirms what I thought in the little bit of time I had to try them both last fall.

Since they are so different, and I have a 7116, I guess I will have to go ahead and get a 5120 to complete the stable :D

It seems like reasonable logic to me, not sure how it will sell to the chief accountant.

Thanks also for the non report on the lines for the 5120 in the other thread. If you do work up a custom line for this rod, I would be interested in the details.

Thanks

JimC

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
a great line for this rod is the Airflo Delta Spey 7/8. I cast this combination at the Grindstone Spey School in Ontario and it was very sweet.

I can't wait to get my 7116 back--it has been "on the road" almost non-stop since I got it last fall and I am keen to take it steelheading in August with me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dana

chance of an Airflo Delta 7/8 coming to the Kamloops Spey clinic? I would like to try out that combination vs the Midspey 6/7. I will bring my 7116 if you don't get yours back in time. Come to think of it, I will bring it anyways.:)

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts