Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to get started with speycasting and am trying to find the right setup for my needs.

I'm thinking of a setup with the above rod, a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 and a Rio Windcutter Spey with interchangeable tips.

I know the rod lenght and line weight will fit the stream I fish, but am not sure if the rod will handle all of the tips that comes with the Windcutter (and I DO need the heavy tips), so can someone help me out here ?

Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I didnt list my homewaters - the names would mean nothing to most of you (maybe) with all the funny letters we use :)

But its smaller streams and rivers here in scandinavia - some fast and deep, fish up to 20 lbs, mostly sea trout and salmon, often big flies. I really dont need to make very long casts, but there are a lot of obstacles thus the need for speycasting.

Thanks
Peter

:confused: I posted this in reply to a post by Juro asking about my homewaters - his posting has dissapeared:confused:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Peter -

My apologies, I realized that you posed a valid question regardless of home waters and thus deleted my inquiry about the missing home waters designation. I was mostly trying to make a point that in an international forum, it's helpful to know where one is coming from.

Funny letters? Now you have my curiosity!

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Peter!

The 7116 casts everything from full floaters to Loop's Adapted full sinking shooting head, so you won't have a problem with the Windcutter tips. I have fished this rod with the MidSpey 6/7 and tips and it handled them just fine!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dana,
thanks for the info - sound like I can go ahead now.

Would you recommend the Midspey over the Windcutter - considering that I'm new to this "thing" ?

Juro,
no problem - I can mention a few (that I dont fish) to you with funny letters -

Mørrum (Mörrum - this one I guess you know)
Ätran
Skjern Å (a stream is called a "å")

So you see - letters like æ ø å are used in many stream names around here - must look funny to people not used to them.

Take care
Peter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lurking here quietly

Peter,

Your question prompted me to post a message. I've been lurking on the board while I learn about spey rods. I've fished single handed rods -- mostly in salt -- for the last 10 years.

I'm a transplant to Sweden, currrently living just outside of Stockholm but we have a summer house in Halland, (so I'm interested in equipment for the Ätran and Mörrum -- don't know the Skjern Å ).

I'm hoping that by the summer I will have bought suitable equipment. So far I haven't felt like I got great information in the flyshops I've been in.

Perhaps I could email you direct to pick your brains a little on fishing these waters. (Or post a new messages regarding fishing in southern Scandinavia).

regards
Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts