Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

has anyone tried the Loop BlackLine 3 pieces 11'2" for line 7/8 ? I heard it was quite popular in some countries up North. it is no longer produced, it was replaced by a Loop BlueLine four pieces 11'6" line 7/8 double handed.
The strange thing about this BlackLine rod is that it has a longer handle ressembling that of a double-handed rod, but slightly different in the shape so you can use it both single handed and two handed... I am waiting for one - brand new - I ordered lately , a very nice bargain since it is no longer proposed on the Loop Catalog...!
So, has anyone tried it ? how do you fish it ? your impressions ? advice ?
Thanks a lot in advance !
Closp :)

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Closp--welcome!

This is one of the few Color Concept Two-Handers that I have not tried. I have the Blue 7116 and think it is great--light and plenty powerful. Let us know what you think of the Black once you've tried it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, I'll let you know. But you'll have to be patient since I'm an absolute beginner as far as fly fishing is concerned! That's why I'm gathering information about underhand cast (video and book) before training. I live in France and spey or underhand cast are just not taught here (talk about French "culture" :rolleyes: ); I'm afraid I'll have to learn by myself or spend a holiday in Great Britain attending a course (they do have splendid Sewin in Wales ! :D ) as soon as I can afford it . In the meanwhile I'll have a go at seatrout (Sewin) on the Atlantic French coast this summer - provided there's some water left ! I may try the rod on big shad too...
Incidently I've just received the rod and it looks and feels fine, as far as I can tell ! Probably very similar to the Loop Blueline 11'6" line 7/8 though I suppose a little bit "softer" due to the three pieces instead of four. I think the 4" difference is mainly due to the shorter lower part of the handle. So it should perform alike.
I intend to use it with a Loop 0.29 running line and a Loop Adapted Double Hand 7/8 floating and different Loop tips...
;)

G

·
I own and use both rods. I use the Blue Line when I expect to speycast most of the time, and I use the Black Line when I figure I'll mostly be single-handed casting. They are not as similar as you might expect. The modulus of the graphite used is different and therefore the Blue Line seems to be faster/stiffer. It sounds like the 7116 is not long for the world either. It is being replaced by an 8116. Also, the new Green Line rod is a 9116. I think that one will make a terrific overhead rod.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) 'evening JR SPEY

Thanks for the information. Can one spey (or underhand) cast with the BlackLine though? or can it perform well only single handed ? I wanted a light rod to practise underhand cast mainly, with a cheap price too. I was tempted by the BlueLine 11'6 but it was too expensive. I had a 40% discount on the BlackLine.
I will mostly fish Sewin - sea trout - ...
Can you tell me about the fish you go after with those rods and the lines you use?
Thanks in advance!
Fabrice

G

·
The Black Line will speycast, but not exceedingly well. I usually use the Rio Atlantic Salmon line on it and it will speycast OK when I really need it to do so. Probably due to the longer rear handle, the Blue Line speycasts better (or at least more easily). I usually use the Loop Adapted heads on it. I could use the same lines on the Black Line, but I haven't done so yet. I occasionally use a Rio Windcutter 6/7/8 on the Blue Line when I need tips. I use these primarily for Atlantic salmon and occasionally for steelhead in the Great Lakes. The Black Line is my primary rod for single-handed Atlantic salmon on rivers like the Miramichi in New Brunswick and the Flowers in Labrador. I use both that Blue Line and a Yellow Line 12'4" 8/9 to speycast on those same rivers. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does! Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
River I'll be fishing next summer in Normandy: Sewin (sea trout)

Hi again,

here is one (bad) pic I managed to find of the river (Touques) I'll be fishing next summer in Normandy: Sewin (sea trout) fly fishing of course.
It is about 15 to 18 metres wide near the ocean , not unlike some rivers in Wales I've heard. Any special advice from Welsh Sewin fly fishermen - or anyone - concerning the line for this particular situation (I'll use the Loop Blackline 11'2" 7/8 of course) ?
Do you think underhand or spey cast may prove useful on that kind of water or would you rather advise single hand cast ?
;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, well I just can't load that pic...my fault, I must do sthg wrong. Sorry.:confused:

G

·
I've got a 12'4" Blackline 8/9 and it overhead cast very well with a SA T40 competition line. The line is 625gns and 54 feet so it loads the Blackline very nicely. I get 120 feet without any effort using it double handed. Nice piece of gear. Max

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DT on that rod: which number?

Hi,

So I've tried my Loop Blackline 11'2 line 7/8: it casts quite well a Loop custom M (see chart in Loop Catalog). A real delight!

Now, I've received further information about the river I'm going to fish for sewin this summer, it is about 15 (sometimes a little less) to 20/25 metres wide and it has medium high banks; the river is difficult to wade, so local fishermen fish from the banks. They use double taper floating with sink tip lines, and roll cast a lot ...
So, should I choose to use a DT line on that river, what number should I take for my Blackline? A DT 7 or a DT 8 ? I have no experience with DT lines, only used WF or shooting head on very large rivers up to now, so thanks in advance for your help and advice !
:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
JR SPEY,
(unrelated to original 7-112 posting)
I have been fishing the 9116 Green since September and have found it to be an amazing little rod. This was my rod of choice all year on the Thompson and never felt there was something it couldn't do. As for overhead, you are right, a great two hander for off of the beach. A real pleasure to fish, get your hands on one as soon as you can!
Brian Niska

1 - 12 of 12 Posts