Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using this rod for small stream spey? Wondering about line lengths and weight on this one.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Blue 8116

The Blue 8116 might be a better call for small stream work. The Green 9116 is a powerful rod capable of long casts with heavy tips and big flies.

John

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
...or the 7116. Light tipped little wand, now out of production. I have one in perfect condition I'm considering selling.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I thought the 7116 and the 8116 were the same rod, just renamed to better describe what it truely was, thats the story I heard anyways. Big flies and Heavy tips is what I am looking for. I have tried the 7116, I'm not a fan of the light tip on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jamey, The 8116 Is The 7116 Only The Tip Is Stiffer, Great Rod With Shooting Head System Adapted Lines From Loop 7-8 116 . The 9116 Is A Big Fly Big Fish Rod ,great For Small Salmon Streams Or Heavy Wind Days..again With An Adapted Shooting Head System ...great Rods

·
Registered
445 Posts
..........Jamey, I have a 7116 Blue, and find it a great rod on the small MI streams. With a Quattro, or a WC, you can fish from 10' out to 75'. Really a remarkable rod.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
A clarification

I have a Blue 7116, not a Green.

It is a bit soft in the tip, and the 8116 is the same rod with a slightly faster tip. Some guys love the softer rods, it did not win me over. I am considering buying just a tip from the 8116 and using that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
..........Moose, are you sure the only difference between the two rods(blue and green), is the top section? If so, the option of a stiffer tip would be pretty cool!

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I was told that the difference between the blue 7116 and the blue 8116 is the tip, the rest of the rod is the same. The green rod has a different action altogether.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
it is true that the 7116 and 8116 are the same rod with a different tip. the 9116 is a completely different rod. as frenchy says, more powerful. have seen fellows using it on the Thompson. Since many who fish single handers on the Thompson go with 10ft 8 weight single handers, an 11ft6in 2 hander makes sense. I would be inclined to use to 9116 on medium sized waters such as the Dean.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am a huge fan of the 9116 and have used it on waters like the lower Dean, Thompson and Lilloett for Steelhead and Chinooks. In fact for the last two years it has probably been the rod that I fished the most. It is my Thompson rod and it's short length allows me to often fish from the bank and is awesome in the wind. I think this rod might generate the highest line speed of any stick that I have cast. On the lower Squamish fishing ocean fresh Chums I was able to land fish way faster than guys using 15' 10 weights. A super powerful rod that weighs almost nothing.

Brian Niska

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Whistler said:
I am a huge fan of the 9116 and have used it on waters like the lower Dean, Thompson and Lilloett for Steelhead and Chinooks. In fact for the last two years it has probably been the rod that I fished the most. It is my Thompson rod and it's short length allows me to often fish from the bank and is awesome in the wind. I think this rod might generate the highest line speed of any stick that I have cast. On the lower Squamish fishing ocean fresh Chums I was able to land fish way faster than guys using 15' 10 weights. A super powerful rod that weighs almost nothing.

Brian Niska

Brian,

What line do you fish on it? LOL, that was the point when I started this thread and its gotten a bit off the subject.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have used a few different line set ups on this rod. My two favourite are a Loop custom Cut II floating head with 50# slickshooter and The rig that I fish most is a LOOP adapted head for 9132 (yellow loop). with 50#slickshooter and Rio type 8 8weight cut to about 8' usually. It is no problem to cast large heavy flies on this rig. I hope this helps.

Brian

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Whistler said:
I have used a few different line set ups on this rod. My two favourite are a Loop custom Cut II floating head with 50# slickshooter and The rig that I fish most is a LOOP adapted head for 9132 (yellow loop). with 50#slickshooter and Rio type 8 8weight cut to about 8' usually. It is no problem to cast large heavy flies on this rig. I hope this helps.

Brian

Brian, did you ever have any luck finding the cost and availabillity on a 8116 tip for my 7116 Blue?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Call me at the shop tomorrow, there should be a spare tip in our next order.
Thanks,
Brian
1-888-822-3474

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update:

The stick showed up today. I haven't had it on the water yet, but while performing the customary lawn test I have to put all rods through, I can see the thing IS A FREAKING CANNON :D .

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have to agree with carl on this one as well.

Jamey iIthought I saw a PM from you but am having trouble getting at new messages. Shoot me an email [email protected] or call me at
1-888-822-3474.

Brian Niska

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had it on the peir for a bit the other day, the only line I have (or could find in my pile of lines) is around 500grains, right off the bat it was obvious that it was way to heavy, I think 30ft and 400-425grains would be ideal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.