Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to pick up a new shorter lighter stick for my summer and smaller water winter work. It has come down to the loop blue or green 8124. Perhaps some body has casted both of these and can let me in on the casting nuances and limitations of each. Also as for lines I can't decide wheather to go for a windcutter (or other short bellied line) or try out a loop adapted line system. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
BWO

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I prefer the Loop Green series rods simply because they are a faster action rod, which is the action I like best, than the Blue series. Either one of these series are very nice rods and it comes down to whether you like a fast rod or a medium action rod. Either of the lines you mentioned will work just fine although I have a preference for the longer MidSpey or Long Delta lines.

J

·
0 Posts
The Green is a faster rod, really better suited for overhead casting. The Blue is more progressive in its action and is a better all around rod in my opinion. Though the Loops will throw all the Rio and Air Flo lines quite well, they really come alive with the correct Adapted line. I just spent two weeks on the Restigouche and fished most of the time with a 13' 2" Blue Series and the Adapted line. Wow! I had little of the barking shoulder muscles, etc. that I usually get from speycasting for two weeks straight. If you own a Loop and don't have an Adapted line to go with it, you're really missing out. Even if you use it just some of the time in conjunction with your other lines, it's worth having and using.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well both rods are great I have to agree with JR, the nice progressive action, and lower price of the blue, make it the better buy IMHO. You can't really go wrong with either of these sticks though. I would recomend the Airflow Delta 8/9 or the adapted line head 8/9. Lately we have been doing something different for running line (50#slickshooter) with these lines but the Loop running line, though pricey, works great -just watch that little welded loop on the front of the running line(I usually hack it off from the get go). The welded loops on the heads work great though.
BN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts