Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no expert at Spey casting but thank's to Dana I had the opportunity to try out this rod. I have been looking for a light rod to use on the Bow to reach out to some of the fish that I can't reach with a single handed rod.
Well after about 6 hours of casting the Loop Blue 7116 with the Rio Mid Spey 7/8 Floating line, I must say that I really like this rod. The Bow has been running high so I can't say that I actually fished the rod but casting was just a joy. It took a while to slow down my rhythm after using a Sage 10150, but once I got the line to hook properly, it was a dream to hit the rod and watch the line shoot.
I tried fast moving water then gradually slower water up to an eddy where the water was barely moving. In all cases the rod performed exceptionally well. This is a great rod for a river like the Bow, big water, deep pools and risers in the middle of the river with high banks behind any likely shore casting location. Ideal situations for a light Spey rod. I did not get a chance to try the rod from a drifter but I would not likely fish a spey that way in any event. There are many places where I could now reach risers that sit in the middle of the river but cannot be reached from shore due to the high cliffs that prevent any back cast from the shore.
In summary, this is a great rod for the Bow and other such waters.
Thank's to Dana and Brian (Whistler) for the opportunity. See you at the Kamloops school, I can't wait to learn how to get the max from this rod & line combo.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am glad that you liked the rod, if the opportunity presents itself try someting with a shorter head on it. My personal favourite is the Loop adapted 7/8 head, but a windcutter. or Airflow Delta would probably feel better than the midspey.
BN

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, it's an 11 inch rod with a 67Wt line class....
But King Salmon has it correctly, 11'6" for a 7 Wt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts