Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a very lightly used Loop 4 Traditional. I will be looking for an additional spool. It is my understanding that the Traditional went through a number of design modifications in it's life span. So the first question is, will I need to look for a specific version spool to match the sub species that I have or will all versions of the Loop 4 Traditional spools work on all frame versions? Any information leading to the location of said spool would be helpfull. Also, although the reel is dirt simple it would be nice to have a copy of the manual, just because.

Thanks
TBC

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have two Loop 3Ws. One bought twelve years ago and another acquired this summer. Both bought new. They look slightly different due to metal being removed to lose weight. Also the newer one has a slightly wider palming rim and smaller tension adjustment knob. Otherwise the spools are interchangeable and function is the same. My guess is that your 4 is no different and spools are age neutral and interchangeable too. As for the manual, I think that can be downloaded from their web. I can tell you it is pretty simple since the reel is so simple. If you strike out downloading one, contact me and I'll mail a copy of mine which will work for yours since the only difference in 4s and 3Ws is spool width.

Service is great on these. I had their center in Oregon rebuild my oldest a year ago and it came back like new w/ new bearings and rollers. One thing you will need to always do when you are done using it is relax the pressure on the rollers. Always wash after use in saltwater. Good luck w/ what I think is a great smooth starting reel.

J

·
0 Posts
The Traditionals have been redesigned several times. Although the spools will fit all versions, the difference in the palming rim make the older versions look a little strange with a newer spool (and vice versa). It is correct that the #4 was discontinued before the latest redesign, but you'll still be happier if you get the correct spool for your model. Call Loop USA with your serial number and Ron will tell you which version will be better suited for your reel. However, at the right price, remember that the "wrong" spool will still function correctly. Incidentally, the difference between the 3W and the 4 is in spool diameter, not width.

J

·
0 Posts
The Traditionals have been redesigned several times. Although the spools will fit all versions, the difference in the palming rim make the older versions look a little strange with a newer spool (and vice versa). It is correct that the #4 was discontinued before the latest redesign, but you'll still be happier if you get the correct spool for your model. Call Loop USA with your serial number and Ron will tell you which version will be better suited for your reel. However, at the right price, remember that the "wrong" spool will still function correctly. Incidentally, the difference between the 3W and the 4 is in spool diameter, not width.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts