Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Before posting this (my first on this site), I searched the various past posts to see if my question could be answered. I failed to find one that was helpful. My question is this:

I recently bought a Loop Greyline 13' 9/10, a matching Quattro line and a 3W reel. Is this reel an appropriate match for the rod/line? I am new to spey fishing so I honestly don't know much about the reel's capacity in relation to the Quattro line. I own many other Loop reels (including the smaller Traditionals) for my trout and grayling fishing, and have had no problems with spool space. I really liked the idea of a dragless reel for my salmon spey rod, as it is a classic setup. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

J

·
0 Posts
The 3W is right at the lower end of acceptable capacity. A lot depends on how much backing you need for the rivers you fish. If you need more than 100yds or so you'll probably want to look into using 50lb PowerPro or some similar GSP backing. I have my 9/10 Quattro on the new CLW 8twelve, which has a deeper spool than the 3W and therefore would hold about 100yds more backing (30lb dacron) and I still decided to go with PowerPro. The Traditional you need is the #4, which is no longer made, but can be found occasionally on the secondary market. Perhaps Grandpa Spey has an extra one he'd sell you.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hi Chris.

I too have the Loop 3W and I have it spooled with 200 yds of 50lb gelspun backing and a Midspey 9/10........it fits.....but just. I am sure that if I had used 30lb gelspun the fit would be better. But it does work.

Paul

Love the Loop by the way

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Careful

if you choose to use the GSP, especially the 30#. It can cut like a knife.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Backing...

Thanks for the input guys. I think that I will eventually just get an Evotec 8-12 or the like. In the meantime, I figure that 30 lb. Micron backing should be the ticket for the 3W. I have never used this before, but I understand it can really be packed on a reel. 150 yards ought to be more than enough in any event. Any thoughts on Micron vs. Dacron? How about in the salt?

Thanks,

-Chris

J

·
0 Posts
Micron is simply Cortland's brand name for its dacron backing. In the white finish, it is about the thinnest 30lb dacron that I've run across. Most reel companies use Micron to establish capacities because it allows them to indicate a higher amount in their specs. That's one reason why many reels seem to be overrated in capacity. I agree that avoiding 30lb GSP is wise. Touching it while a fish is taking line is like sticking your finger into a bandsaw. 50lb GSP already gives one significantly greater capacity than any dacron and isn't quite as dangerous.

By the way, I don't think you'll get an honest 150yds of Micron on your 3W with a full Quattro line. You'll either get more like 100yds of Micron or you'll need to cut the line back several feet. Let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Chris T. said:
Hello,

Before posting this (my first on this site), I searched the various past posts to see if my question could be answered. I failed to find one that was helpful. My question is this:

I recently bought a Loop Greyline 13' 9/10, a matching Quattro line and a 3W reel. Is this reel an appropriate match for the rod/line? I am new to spey fishing so I honestly don't know much about the reel's capacity in relation to the Quattro line. I own many other Loop reels (including the smaller Traditionals) for my trout and grayling fishing, and have had no problems with spool space. I really liked the idea of a dragless reel for my salmon spey rod, as it is a classic setup. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris
A 13’ rod 9/10 with Loop traditional 3W reel is a good combination. I use this reel on my 14’ Sage 9140-3 GIII (the brown one), and have never emptied the reel when playing big salmon in Norwegian rivers. The 3W reel with only the overrun brake, the salmon seems too act more calm when playing it, than with heavy brakes on. I have my reel set up with 175yds 30lb Dacron backing + 25yds 50lb Dacron backing nearest too the running line. The heavier Dacron takes up the stress from rocks and things. This part can easy be replaced when worn out. :) ps: take care of your 3W reel, don't forget to loosen up the overrun brake when reel is not in use.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"Perhaps Grandpa Spey has an extra one he'd sell you."

No way. I only have one Loop 4 reel and two spools. They will probably be inherited as the only way I will let them go.

My son has a Loop 3 which he uses with his Sage 9140 and his WC 8910 with tips. He has a couple of hundred yards of 20 # test backing, the small diameter stuff. He uses this combination for Shad fishing, big trout and California steelhead, and it has worked great for him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts